Flyingfox27
Topic Author

Error 99 On My Canon 1000D

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Hi folks i was at LHR yesterday with my Canon 1000D and Sigma DG 70-300mm lens. As i was taking photos the Error 99 message came up following a type of long click sound then it said change battery or reinsert it.

I went to the camera shop today and they said it could mean many things but it works most of the time, just only noticed these 3 messages then it operated normally afterwards.

Is it just a one off thing or worth keeping an eye on? I think i have taken about 10,000 photos or so with it since the start of 2009. Probably a lot i know and taken 500 on yesterdays visit.

Shall i try to resist the continuous snapping when i see a plane i really like as i sorta did 20 of EK A380 and only 5 are worthy of keeping, got to try and not get excited i guess.

Any ideas on this Error 99 message folks?

dendrobatid

RE: Error 99 On My Canon 1000D

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:44 pm

The commonest cause is a lens/camera communication problem, though Error 99 is a catch-all fault indicator.

If it is a communication problem it can be as simple as dirty contacts so try removing the lens and giving the camera and lens contacts a wipe with a lint free tissue such as a Pec Pad.
You could also try a tiny spot of Iso propyl alcohol as found in Eclipse fluid in case there is a trace of grease on them.

Good luck, it could simply be that.....

Mick Bajcar

JohnKrist
Crew

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:21 pm

And getting the latest firmware as it is a "catch all" as Mick says, and could very well have been fixed in a firmware. If you have the latest I agree with Mick on cleaning the contact on both lens and camera.
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

Airplanepics

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Good luck, when I had my Canon 300D I had the "dreaded" Error 99, I had to get a completely new shutter system!

Luckily it was still under warranty ...!
Simon - London-Aviation.com

mcdonobr

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:44 am

I started getting Error 99 messages not long after I bought my 40D 2 yrs. ago. It would come and go occasionally and I would do the same things such as removing battery and reinserting it and cleaning the lens contacts which seemed to work as a temporary fix.
On my 1st day of a photo trip to ANC in May, I started getting the Error 99 message with every other shot and could no longer take photos. A quick call to Canon support confirmed that I had bigger problems, they told me that if the above solutions did not work then I would need to send it in for service.
Canon ended up replacing my shutter system for $207. I have not seen the Error message since then. However,I felt the shutter should not have died with less than 15K frames taken. But then, I have had numerous Canons over a 40 yr. period and this was the 1st problem that I've ever had that could be attributable to manufacture. I'll continue to stick with Canon.

gabik001

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:50 pm

I had an error99 in my 350D but it was a lens issue. Internal power diaphragm assembly flex cable was broken and there was no comunication from camera. I replaced that part (not easy - it tooks me over three hrs) by myself and everything back to normal.
Check some forums , maybe lens got some weak points that should be repaired.
Best regards , Gabriel
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Minolta X300 w/ 35-70 f/3.5