SIA6696
Topic Author

Canon EOS: Why Call It Rebel And Kiss

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:52 am

Why does canon call their entry level DSLR cameras Rebel in the US and Kiss in Japan. Why not use the 3 or 4 number code like the rest of the world, and avoid confusion. Their higher end cameras use the same number world wide, so why not keep them all the same.
Come fly away!

lgw340

RE: Canon EOS: Why Call It Rebel And Kiss

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:20 am

Ive been told by a Canon rep it is because it makes them sell better in different countries. The British like ordered numbers (450D, 500D, 550D etc), The Americans like names (Rebel XTI etc) and Japanese prefer more gentle names (Kiss x3). Just done to help increase sales.

C J Goodwin
Live life from the window seat...

JohnKrist
Crew

Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:55 am

Well known sales trick  
Another example is cars, where cars that targets men are usually called 750xi, 300M or such, and a car that target female buyers are called Twingo, Jazz etc
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

Stealthz

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:30 am

It is also used to limit grey marketing or parallel importing.
An unauthorised importer in for eg the USA is going to be more reluctant to take a shipment of cheap xxx if he has to do the marketing to convince the customer that it is the same yyy that they see in the natioanl advertising!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

dvincent

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:32 pm

There is nothing rebellious about owning a Canon.  

It's all marketing.

Minolta used to have three different names for their lines of bodies. In the USA it was Maxxum, in Europe it changed to Dynax, and Japan was Alpha. When Sony bought out all of Minonlta's camera and lens business, the worldwide name was unified to Alpha.

Even then, the Maxxum/Dynax 5D was called the Alpha Sweet digital in Japan.
From the Mind of Minolta

romeokc10fe

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:14 pm

I think it's kinda odd too. How can you call a bad ass car like the U.S. version 1990-1996 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo a Fairlady Z in Japan!!!

cpd

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:37 am

Quoting JohnKrist (Reply 2):
Another example is cars, where cars that targets men are usually called 750xi, 300M or such, and a car that target female buyers are called Twingo, Jazz etc

Excepting of course Zonda, Carrera GT, Veyron. I wouldn't call a Carrera GT a ladies car, but perhaps H.J. Stuck may do so (he once called the 911 GT3 RS race car "a ladies car", shortly before his own BMW was disqualified).

It's all about marketing. But I wonder how much this marketing benefit outweighs the cost of having specific advertising for each region? Sort of like how in some countries, NSX was branded "Acura", while in others, just the simple Honda "H" was good enough for the SuperHonda.

For me, I'd see benefits in keeping the same name everywhere.

Quoting stealthz (Reply 3):
It is also used to limit grey marketing or parallel importing.

Fortunately, Nikon doesn't bother with this.

JohnKrist
Crew

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:12 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 6):
For me, I'd see benefits in keeping the same name everywhere

Yeah, but then you really need to do your homework and not like Honda when they introduced the Fit/Jazz model. It was supposed to be called Honda Fitta all over the world andmarketing had all broschures done, the cars had emblems on them and was ready to roll. Then someone, thankfully, told them what Fitta means in Swedish and Norwegian. It's a really bad word for the female genitalia, much worse than the kitten synonym used in the english language  

So, they dropped the "ta" in Japan and in all of Europe and some other places renamed it completely to Jazz.

If you keep letter/number combinations you are OK for most of the world, except if there's a 4 which sounds the same as death in chinese.
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT