EMA747
Topic Author

Filming At Airports

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:03 pm

I would like to make some short films about my local airport EMA, UK. Does anyone know if it is even possible to get permission to film airside at UK airports and if so who would I write to?

Andy S
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

cpd

RE: Filming At Airports

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:50 pm

Quoting EMA747 (Thread starter):
Does anyone know if it is even possible to get permission to film airside at UK airports and if so who would I write to?

My guess is you'll need to pay filming fees per hour. You'd organise it through the public relations/media unit of the airport involved.

I imagine you operate as a company, and have insurance?

EMA747
Topic Author

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:19 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 1):
I imagine you operate as a company, and have insurance?

No not at the moment. I wish to make a few aviation films on my own with the strong possibility of setting up a film and photography company in the near future. This project would be more of a way to test myself and my ability and also have something to show future clients.

I am aware of the need for public liability insurance though.

clickhappy

Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:02 am

Andy - I would start at your local and bang on some doors. The only way to gain experience is to create some opportunity. Be polite, but persistent. I've never been asked to provide proof of insurance, and that includes being on the runway, but maybe laws are different in England?

EMA747
Topic Author

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:29 am

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 3):
Andy - I would start at your local and bang on some doors. The only way to gain experience is to create some opportunity. Be polite, but persistent.

That's exactly what I think. It would be a good way to gain some technical experience as I am a photographer really but I can't seem to find a commercial opening for photography and think video might have more commercial potential with enthusiast type DVDs and work for airlines/airports etc. It would also get experience of dealing with people at airports etc and also have a film to show other interested people as no one is going to buy anything without an example of my work. I doubt the current enthusiast DVD producers take on people really so I will almost certainly have to go it alone.

Andy S