jspitfire
Topic Author

Photo Location Issues

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:00 pm

I need some help with how to properly label some of my photos with regards to the location they were taken. I am a bush pilot in Canada's North, and we often fly to un-named lakes. The photo below is an example.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jason Pineau

I have been asked by the screeners to change the "unknown" location on this one, and not to use it on future uploads. I know exactly where the photo was taken, but how can I label it when the lake has no name? Can I use "off airport" without any description after it? Can I reference another nearby lake?

Thanks,

Jason

Viscount724

RE: Photo Location Issues

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:19 pm

What about showing the approximate GPS latitude/longitude coordinates plus the country and province/territory, perhaps also the approximate distance/direction from the nearest significant airport and its IATA/ICAO codes?

Example: Unnamed lake, Canada, Northwest Territories, x deg. N, y deg. W, approx. 200 nm NE of Yellowknife (YZF/CYZF).

If necessary, som of that could go in the photo caption/description rather than in the location field.

dlowwa

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:20 am

Jason,

"Off-Airport - near Rebesca Lake" or "Off-Airport - Rebesca Lake area" or some other similar should be fine. "Off-Airport - Unnamed Lake" would be possible as well, but would be a less desirable option.

jspitfire
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:34 am

Thanks,

Changed to "Off-Airport - near Rebesca Lake"

I'll use this format for future similar uploads as well.

Jason