JakTrax
Topic Author

Help With Nikon Please - Strange Halos

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi all,

First, no - I ain't switched to Nikon! This is for a friend who is having a bit of an issue.....

He's recently taken some sunny, blue sky shots of aircraft in the air and has noticed a curious halo around the subject on every shot. This is on the originals as they've not been edited (before anyone suggests over-use of shadow/highlight in PS). He's pretty sure he shot everything as he normally does.

Anyone have an idea what's gone wrong here? Can only think it's the settings but I can't off-hand think what could have caused such an effect.

Cheers,

Karl

dendrobatid

RE: Help With Nikon Please - Strange Halos

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Rejected For 'Halo' Around The Tail (by alasdair1982 Oct 22 2010 in Photography Feedback)

Mick Bajcar

jid

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi Karl,

I believe it is normally something to do with Nikon's Active D function but not having one of those Nikon things I can't comment much further. I guess the way to fix it is to switch that function off.

Jid
G7EPN is back after 15 years! Operating all Bands 80mtrs -> 70cms QRZ DX

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:51 pm

Thanks. He is however aware that the D function (or whatever it's called on Nikons) can do this and swears it wasn't set to that. Could he be mistaken or could it be something else?

Cheers,

Karl

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:14 pm

His camera is a D70 by the way. Anyone any idea how he can turn the function off as he doesn't have a manual? More to the point, is it a default setting on the D70?

Thanks,

Karl

photopilot

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:25 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 4):
His camera is a D70 by the way. Anyone any idea how he can turn the function off as he doesn't have a manual? More to the point, is it a default setting on the D70?

He can download the full D70 Operators Manual here......

http://www.devicemanuals.com/guide/C...0-Operators-Manual-TmpNMU9ETT.html

dendrobatid

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:20 pm

Karl
The person I helped out last week found that it is the default setting.
I spoke to a wedding photographer at the weekend, a long-term Nikon user, one of a group that are sponsored by Nikon (ie excellent) and she told me that though the function is fitted to most cameras, even the D3, it is the default setting only on the lower end models.
In that other thread, I commented that aircraft, particularly against a sky are probably about the worst type of subject for Active D and she agreed. It can be useful on more normal subjects though creating a rather false look, as so often happens with shadow/highlight too,
I suspect that he will have no more problems once that is turned off.

Mick

iamlucky13

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:24 pm

I can't confirm right now, but I don't think the D70 even has D-Lighting. I know it doesn't have "Active" d-lighting, which intentionally underexposes the image to brighten in the JPG conversion, but I'm not sure about the older version.

Seeing a sample would help.

Is it a light halo or dark halo? Is it colored at all? I've seen funny effects from thin layers of oil (like from skin) on a lens. My gut tends that direction...

scbriml

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:27 pm

I don't believe D-Lighting is available on the D70. Well, it certainly wasn't when I had them.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

JakTrax
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:00 pm

Okay, thanks. Don't know what it could be then.

Karl

dvincent

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Using a UV filter? Take it off and see if it makes a difference.

Halos can happen for a variety of reasons. In image capture it can occur via optics or sensors and on the post side it could be produced by overzealous auto-processing. Are you looking at JPEGs or RAWs? RAWs should have no processing applied by the camera for things like D-lighting, if the camera does have it.

The D70 has an older Sony 6MP CCD sensor (similar to the one I had in the KM 5D) which was prone to blooming or haloing under certain conditions. Can you post an example of the halo?
From the Mind of Minolta

Numero4

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:35 pm

+1 on the UV-filter.

I have had weird halos (non-defined/non-pixelated halos) with a badly cleaned filter, ie with finger grease smeared over the filter. I solved the issue when I bought a new, better filter and have not had this problem since. I took good care of it by cleaning it with the appropriate equipment.
CYQB

megatop412

Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:09 pm

The D70/s does not have the D-Lighting feature.