ptlnyc
Topic Author

Best Military Airport For Film Shoot

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi
I am working on a big action hollywood film and have been asked to find a military airport, or civilian airport
that overlooks a city. A cold war era look that would have some distinguishing buildings or architecture from that time. I was on the Military Airfield Directory but there are few photos. Albania looks great. Any ideas on a good Military airbase that has some sort of architectural landmark that you would immediately recognise that you are in Eastern Europe. Could be a statue, a control tower? Thanks

iamlucky13

RE: Best Military Airport For Film Shoot

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:35 pm

This isn't direct help, but the photo index has a category for "Airport Overviews" that may be of some value.

Unfortunately, there's over 20,000 photos in that category, so browsing it would be very time consuming. I'm not sure if you might be able to refine those search results.

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...search=AIRPORT&distinct_entry=true

ptrjong

RE: Best Military Airport For Film Shoot

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:03 am

Quoting ptlnyc (Thread starter):

Hi,

I think this former Russian airbase just north of Berlin in Germany might be a good choice.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter de Jong

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter de Jong

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter de Jong

There's literally a Lenin statue, Soviet-style aircraft shelters and derelict buildings, and MiGs. It's also a cash-strapped museum, so there are people who will probably be ready to talk to you.

Peter 
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)