BMIFlyer
Topic Author

Any Advice For SAN Spotting?

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi guys,

As I have nothing better to do, I am on the verge of buying a round trip to SAN from LHR next week.

Any good spots in SAN to recommend, if I do go??

Thanks!

Lee

[Edited 2011-02-25 14:23:43]

[Edited 2011-02-25 14:37:22]
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

san747

RE: Any Advice For SAN Spotting?

Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:08 am

Absolutely. This spot:

...is the main spot at SAN, where the vast majority of A.net shots are from. It's a small parking lot (5 or 6 spots) right where Laurel and Harbor meet/fork. Often limos and hired cars wait there. You can park there, and climb on the green electrical box which is about 4.5-5 feet high and stand on there to clear the fence. I've been there dozens of times and stood up on that box in full view of civilians and cops and have never been harassed.

The best part? It's a stone's throw from the terminals when you arrive, about a 90-second drive, though you may have to turn around at the next light because you can't really enter the lot heading east, you have to go west.

BTW, what's your planned itinerary? You're a few months early for our non-stop on BA!  
Scotty doesn't know...

rgrand

RE: Any Advice For SAN Spotting?

Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:08 pm

I would also check out Balboa Park which is situated on hill in the approach path. See the white arrow on the lower right side of the map. There is a parking lot at that location which will allow you to get some good shots of approaching aircraft. Nice view of the city too. No one will bother you.