WCFLYR
Topic Author

PDX - Portland Spotting

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:01 am

Hey Spotters :

Thinking about taking a drive down to Portland in the next couple days or so and was wondering if someone from down there can post the great locations where I can take photos? I know there is some good places cause I've seen the photos just not sure how to get to them, Thanks - FLYR

Rotate

RE: PDX - Portland Spotting

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:23 am

Good news for you is that the south rwy is closed, so all traffic is using the north rwy (except some smaller Dash TOs on the cross rwy).
Marine Drive is the place from sunrise till 10:30AM and again from around 7:30PM till sundown. In between the top floor of the parking garage is the place to be.
On Marine Drive u can just choose your spot ... there is a spot at the beginning, middle and end of the rwy - u cant miss it. Parking garage also offers partial apron overview and is great for TO or landing shots pending in which direction they use the rwy.
PDX also has 2-3 fighter movements a day , usually the Pair comes back 90 minutes after TO. This Thuesday a Globemaster from Mc Chord was doing 7 Touch and Gos .... this seems to be more seldom ...
Have fun, PDX offers interesting traffic and great spots, which I think overcomes the lack of heavy movements.
ABC

WCFLYR
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Hey Rotate!

Is Marine Drive Policed? If so what is the contact like?

Are you talking about the Parking Garage at the Airport?

Thanks - FLYR!

Rotate

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:48 pm

As allways when spotting in the US have you ID on you in case your friend and supporter comes along ...
I was approached from a police officer this monday on the parking garage ( Yes, thats the one at the airport) and asked what I was doing and how long I intend to stay. I told her that I was staying till into the evening and will be back tomorrow from around 10:00AM till 7:00PM. She said I am allowed what I was doing but she had to check as a worried garage customer saw me with a camera and made a call to the police department.
She wished my some good shots and since then I never saw her again ...
Marine Drive places are frequently visited also from other people, so no reason for police to make checks there ... overall PDX is very spotterfriendly and it seems they know what spotting is about.

Hope this helps ....
ABC

saintex

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:43 am

Quoting Rotate (Reply 3):
she had to check as a worried garage customer saw me with a camera and made a call to the police department.

"Worried" is not the word I would use, but kudos to the officer.