szucsbela
Topic Author

Help With Programs And Colors

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Hello!
Can anyonen offer any details on how the screeners look at the pictures? Meaning what program they use to view it for example? This brings me to second question, what kind of settings do I need to have on my PC, so that I can see the same things they can. I hope this makes sense. I have Windows 7, I have a cheap program Corel Photoshop. Planning on buying PS. Recommendation for any program would be nice too. Thanks for replies.
Bela

clickhappy

RE: Help With Programs And Colors

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Bela - the screening team uses Internet Explorer to view pictures that are uploaded. Some of us were using Firefox, but the most recent versions of FF no longer work with the screening interface.

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 on a Windows 7 machine, and it works great for general photo processing.

szucsbela
Topic Author

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Thank You Clickhappy for your answer!
I also wanted to say that I started using RAW and that is the way I would like to continue shooting.

SirThomas

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:15 am

On a slightly different topic, do the screeners all use the same, set colour profiles, or are they bound to what they see in the browser?
Because that could really vary results..

Tom
Flown On: A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/AT45/734/736/738/744/DH8D/T204/T154/IL62/T134/IL-18/An-24

ckw

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:20 am

Quoting SirThomas (Reply 3):
do the screeners all use the same, set colour profiles, or are they bound to what they see in the browser?

It works the other way round - the colour profile is contained in the image. I believe screeners use calibrated monitors so that if there is a colour profile embedded in the image, the profile will be correctly mapped to the characteristics of the screener's monitor.

Ideally, if the photographer uses a calibrated monitor and the embeds a profile in the image, the screener should see the same colours on his/her calibrated monitor.

Of course not all web browsers support colour profiles, but the default rendering is more or less sRGB.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

ZakHH

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:26 am

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 1):
Bela - the screening team uses Internet Explorer to view pictures that are uploaded. Some of us were using Firefox, but the most recent versions of FF no longer work with the screening interface.

Are the screening tools (equalization, magnification, ruler, color sampler etc.) part of the screening interface? Or do you, when in doubt, load the picture to an external program (e.g. Photoshop) and check things there?
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!