TristarAtLCA
Topic Author

Previous Sigma 70-200 2.8....Thoughts?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi all,

Having recently jumped to the 'dark' side with the purchase of a D7000 I am looking to start a new lens collection. My initial plan was to concentrate on shorter primes and hire anything longer when required. However, an oppurtunity has arisen to purchase a twice used Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX DG HSM Macro APO II (I think thats all the initials!) for about £325. Its being sold as its too heavy for the female owner to comfortably use for any length of time and the seller is a close colleague of the missus

I have read a few reviews of the lens and it appears to be a competent lens but obviously not in the same class as the Nikkor product which is wholly understandable considering its price bracket. Some reported front and rear focusing issues, softness wide open at the 200 end and a few questions raised of Sigma's QC although its AF has been praised.

I will be getting my hands on it on Thursday for a test run and was wondering if any members could report on their experiences/problems with this lens. Whilst I wasn't looking at this class of lens now, the cost/benefit ratio appears favourable.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.
If you was right..................I'd agree with you

clickhappy

RE: Previous Sigma 70-200 2.8....Thoughts?

Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:37 pm

I own a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and it has always been a workhorse. Never had an issue with it other than a couple of FEE errors back in 2002 on a D100. It was rechipped by Sigma and has worked perfectly ever since.

Every photographer should have a 70-200 f/2.8 (or 80-200) in their bag   

TristarAtLCA
Topic Author

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:18 am

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 1):
Every photographer should have a 70-200 f/2.8 (or 80-200) in their bag

Oh I agree. I planned to eventually buy the Nikon version, but the oppurtunity arose much faster than anticipated to put a fast large zoom in the bag and, subject to the hands on, I can't see why I wont buy it.

[Edited 2011-07-04 22:19:03]
If you was right..................I'd agree with you

jwenting

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:55 am

Quoting TristarAtLCA (Thread starter):
I have read a few reviews of the lens and it appears to be a competent lens but obviously not in the same class as the Nikkor product which is wholly understandable considering its price bracket.

It's in the same class as the equivalent spec'd Nikon or Canon lenses, minus the bragging rights of having the ultra expensive branded optics.
Optically and mechanically you can expect to come withing 90-95% of what either Nikon or Canon has to offer. Skilled operators can more than compensate for the other few percent.

I've shot with one for years, can't be happier (well, might be happier if it weighed a bit less, making things easier on my back, but the Nikkor weighs the same or more).
I wish I were flying