Ilovebelugas
Topic Author

Waypoint Magazine Photo Usage

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:25 am

Has anyone had any dealings with this magazine? Waypoint - the international air med and rescue magazine
I have had an email from them asking for a photo for their front cover. I just wanted to check if they do actually use the image correctly etc.

Dear Mr Price

Just saw your photo:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/McDon...d=de8a758fc309ebbc94c5d3fa65c42fe4

Great shot! Do you own copyright and have a large version you would allow us to use as a cover image for our magazine? We would give you credit as the photographer and send a couple of copies. If yes, please can you email me the photo and let me know your address.

Thanks

James Paul Wallis
Editor
Waypoint â?" the international air med & rescue magazine

www.waypointmagazine.com

Voyageur Group
43 Colston Street, Bristol, BS1 5AX, UK
Tel: +44 (0)117 922 6600 (Ext 208)

Whats the best way to go about replying?

[Edited 2011-07-18 04:14:36]

Tomskii

RE: Waypoint Magazine Photo Usage

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:10 pm

You can always answer and tell them they can use it under those terms bla bla bla.

Nikon D90 + Nikkor f4.5-5.6 18-105mm + Tamron f4-5.6 70-300mm

javibi

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:13 pm

No money offered. Interesting deal.

j

dazbo5

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Quoting Ilovebelugas (Thread starter):
We would give you credit as the photographer and send a couple of copies.

Given they charge £49 per year for personal subscription and £199 for corporate, I think they can offer you more than a couple of copies for your photo! A more acceptable figure would be £120 for a front cover photo.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

Ilovebelugas
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Quoting javibi (Reply 2):
No money offered. Interesting deal.

Should I ask for some money then? how do i go about that? Should I just say my standard rate £25 ? How would i coordinate payment and sending the file across to him?

Ilovebelugas
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Quoting dazbo5 (Reply 3):
Given they charge £49 per year for personal subscription and £199 for corporate, I think they can offer you more than a couple of copies for your photo! A more acceptable figure would be £120 for a front cover photo.

I agree! And actually since the photo is of the Wiltshire Air Ambulance (which is a charity) i could up the money and donate 30% to the charity?

BTW how do I tell him? Cheques payable to ....or you send me the money I'll send you the photo!?

xtransx

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:10 pm

They don't offer monetary compensation. They wanted to use 2 of my photos last year, but declined to pay for them.

David

dazbo5

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Quoting xtransx (Reply 6):
They wanted to use 2 of my photos last year, but declined to pay for them.

That's fine then, they don't get to use the photos. The trouble is these days though, someone will give free use if they ask enough people and they know that. Of course that's up to the individual, but it's where the photograpgy community should stand together and not give away work for free. If they are charging a subsciption, there's no reason why they can't pay for material.

Quoting Ilovebelugas (Reply 5):
I agree! And actually since the photo is of the Wiltshire Air Ambulance (which is a charity) i could up the money and donate 30% to the charity?

That's entirely up to you.

Quoting Ilovebelugas (Reply 5):
BTW how do I tell him? Cheques payable to ....or you send me the money I'll send you the photo!?

Just email them with what you want. The worst they can do is say no. I normally send an email explaining I do this as a hobby and selling an odd photo helps to cover expenses since camera equipment is expensive, plus travel costs etc. They are a commercial magazine so I don't give away photos for free unless it's a good cause, charitable or not for profit organisation. Just be straight with them. I have a PayPal account to accept credit / debit card payments, they can send a cheque or do a balance transfer direct to your bank account. There's plenty of options.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

Ilovebelugas
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Quoting xtransx (Reply 6):
They don't offer monetary compensation. They wanted to use 2 of my photos last year, but declined to pay for them.

David

so did you send them an image anyway in exchange for a magazine? or just not bother! (I guess you just didn't bother!)