matai
Topic Author

Ladder Height At Kbfi?

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Does anybody know what height ladder works best for the fences at KBFI? I'm just getting into aviation photography and am so frustrated with the fences. I want to get a ladder but it also has to fit in my camry.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

cargolex

RE: Ladder Height At Kbfi?

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:44 pm

I can't remember exactly how tall my ladder is, but I think it's about four and a half feet. That gets me a good view over the fence at BFI no matter what as I'm pretty tall. Honestly, I think I could get away with something smaller, but I already bought it. It fits in my smaller car (a modern hatchback) with half of the rear seat folded down no problem. It fits width-wise in the trunk of my larger car, which is a 1970's Detroit car that has no fold down seats. I'm pretty sure every Camry built after around 1990 has fold down seats, so you shouldn't have a problem lugging a small ladder around in your car.

If you buy your ladder at Home Depot and it isn't a good fit, just exchange it for a different type.

alevik
Crew

Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:16 pm

When I travel to Seattle I get the three-step folding version that is dark gray frame with black steps from Home Depot. I'm 6' tall and this gives me the height to put my lens above the top row of barbed wire.

Fits width wise across back of the rental cars I get.

Good luck.
Improvise, adapt, overcome.

BO__einG

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Just don't position yourself at the wrong side of the airport or you will have a shock of your life.
Some parts of the fences have electrical conduits installed and they are live, stay far away from those ones and stick to the ones near the museum and the boeing parking lot.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

matai
Topic Author

Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:22 am

Do you guys think I'l get in trouble for using a ladder at the Museum of Flight parking lot tomorrow?

dlednicer
Crew

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Quoting matai (Reply 4):

Do you guys think I'l get in trouble for using a ladder at the Museum of Flight parking lot tomorrow?

Sit on the patio behind the cafe and you won't need a ladder.