Garyck
Crew
Topic Author

Focal Lenghts

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:01 am

I'd like to say thanks to the slowly growing number of photographers that are adding focal lenghts in the comments box of the pictures.

I can see it being a benifit to all of us and very useful especially if visiting an airport or airfield that you have never been to before. I went through a patch of thinking I will need a 100-400mm for my up comining trip to Florida, but that has all but vanished. 100-400 may be useful, but its just extra weight to carry about.

I will try to remember in future to put them on, I did a few then forgot since. Oops

Andrea Fietz - AMS - 44mm. I assume this is from the Spotting deck

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andreas Fietz

Andrea Fietz - MIA - 50mm. Landing RWY12

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andreas Fietz

Fred Seggie - OPF - 30mm. Maybe an Airside shot

View Large View Medium

Photo © Fred Seggie - WorldAirImages

Gary King - MAN - 50mm. Line up shot 23L

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Claridge-king

Keep your Ladders close, but your camera closer

NZ107

RE: Focal Lenghts

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:04 am

Don't forget about the crop factor - ie what body was used. This can also throw the question of what lens was used out the window. A fellow A.Net photographer and I went to the airport on Friday: he had a 5DII and 100-400 and I had a 40D and 100-400. From the same place, he could fit a 77W in portrait with his 100mm whereas I ended up chopping the front and back of the plane off if I tried doing a portrait shot.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

Garyck
Crew
Topic Author

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:10 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 1):
Don't forget about the crop factor - ie what body was used. This can also throw the question of what lens was used out the window. A fellow A.Net photographer and I went to the airport on Friday: he had a 5DII and 100-400 and I had a 40D and 100-400. From the same place, he could fit a 77W in portrait with his 100mm whereas I ended up chopping the front and back of the plane off if I tried doing a portrait shot.

I forgot about that.

My images always include the body and lens in the comments box anyway. I know that the an image taken with my 450 will be different to that of a XXD or XD series, but what and how I forget, its something to with 'full frame', I'm sure someone will explain this better.
Keep your Ladders close, but your camera closer

viv

Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Focal length used will actually tell you very little, unless you also know the size od the sensor (crop factor) and to what extent the original image was cropped in post-processing.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

alevik
Crew

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:52 pm

Quoting viv (Reply 3):
Focal length used will actually tell you very little, unless you also know the size od the sensor (crop factor) and to what extent the original image was cropped in post-processing.

Except that a nice image taken with a 50mm lens or listed focal length tells you to get that shot if you have a 55-300 or 24-70 you should be okay. A nice image means that the amount of post processing cropping is not that bad, and if the camera is listed you know (or can determine) the crop factor. Sometimes that is part of the point - "if I go to visit that airport I can shoot from that spot and bring only my 70-200". So I would say focal length can tell you quite a bit, depending on what you are hoping it will tell you. I have searched the DB for images with camera/lens info for this very reason.
Improvise, adapt, overcome.