vishaljo
Topic Author

Awesome DC10 Shot

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:12 am

Here's a great promotion-worthy photo imo for the A.net social medial brigade.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © M. Azizul Islam

I met Azizbhai over dinner at a Mumbai Hotel a few weeks back, while he was enroute LHR (he had stopped-by to meet us) where he had brought me & another BOM spotter a few large prints of stuff we dont get at BOM like the EY F1 A346, other fancy LHR stuff & this ^

While it took a bit of convincing to have him start re-uploading on A.net, i'm glad the photo is up here now.

I expressly mentioned to him to upload the photo for the sheer amount of DC10 lovers out there besides the novelty value.

Cant think of many rubber-burning 1600x pax DC10 shots out there.   

Thank you to the screeners for allowing this heavy to land on our db.

PS: This single photo also provided an exclusive hour worth of discussion, as we're 'planning' to fly to HKG JUST TO fly-back to DAC on this baby   

Any of you interested ?   

[Edited 2011-09-06 17:36:11]

Garyck
Crew

RE: Awesome DC10 Shot

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:33 am

Quoting vishaljo (Thread starter):
Here's a great promotion-worthy photo imo for the A.net social medial brigade

I'm not sure if you've read the posts, but many of us don't actually agree with the social media promotion........

We (if I can say that) want to get to the top on our on merit and not through posting images hit seeking or facebook media to gain extra hits.

Keep your Ladders close, but your camera closer

Geezer

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 am

Quoting Garyck (Reply 1):

I'm not sure if you've read the posts, but many of us don't actually agree with the social media promotion........

We (if I can say that) want to get to the top on our on merit and not through posting images hit seeking or facebook media to gain extra hits.

As a member and someone who loves to look at awesome photos of DC-10's "making smoke", and with all due respect, I must say...................It sounds like a big bowl of "sour grapes" to me.

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Garyck
Crew

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:27 am

Quoting Geezer (Reply 2):
Quoting Garyck (Reply 1):

As a member and someone who loves to look at awesome photos of DC-10's "making smoke", and with all due respect, I must say...................It sounds like a big bowl of "sour grapes" to me.

Charley

Its not sour grapes at all. DC-10s are a nice aircraft, I have yet to photograph one myself.

I just don't see the point on starting a thread to hit seek or ask A.net Demand Media to promote it on facebook. This can potentially open the flood gates to other 'requests'.

I have just got to work after spending some time this morninf taking 'night' shots, IMO some of my shots are great, but if they are accepted I'm not going to start a threat, 'Awsome night shot' and then link mine or a friends photo.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:52 am

Quoting Garyck (Reply 3):

It wasn't started by the guy who took the photo.

Garyck
Crew

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:33 am

Quoting 747438 (Reply 4):
It wasn't started by the guy who took the photo.

I know, It was taken by someone he met, who he talked into re-uploading here.

Your missing the point of my responce. The thread starter starts his thread with this.

Quoting vishaljo (Thread starter):
Here's a great promotion-worthy photo imo for the A.net social medial brigade

There is a photographers choice section, where this photo can be voted for. I thought that promotion of an image in this way was not allowed.......... Perhaps I missunderstand, If so I appologise.

So do Demand Media/Airliners.net allow you to post images taken by somebody else and request that they promote it on social media sites?

This image has just been added to the data base, Nice light and mood, Great reflections and perhaps this deserves to be promoted via 'social media'.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Olmo Müller

Hope this illustrates my point? Where would it stop?

Gary

vishaljo
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:06 pm

Gary, i'm not sure if YOU have read the posts.
Please look here > Social Media Postings (by PanAm_DC10 Aug 22 2011 in Aviation Photography) and tell me who you think is the most vocal critic of the Manner of Social Media Promotion.

The purpose of the thread was to highlight (what i feel) a very fine photograph of a rare airliner from an even rarer location.

36 photos in all from Bangladesh in the db!
A young boy with a half decent camera will get more up on A.net in an hour worth of shooting @ LHR or MAN.

36 photos in all from a country with a population of about thrice that of Britian, you have NO IDEA of how difficult it is to have a hobby like spotting in a land such as the Indian sub-Continent.

Getting back to the point, long story short: Anet wont refrain from doing what they have started therefore, instead of promoting not so special photos (like a freshly acptd, simple landing shot of an EY A346 which was promoted 2~3 days back - instant #4) i proposed they'd rather promote this one instead.

Just so you know, the thread wasnt started to seek to promote the shot on fb/twitter, i think i made a mistake by making that as the first line of the OP.

- VJ

vikkyvik

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:12 pm

So now that this shot (which is quite nice, by the way) has made the Top 5, can we say that it didn't make it there on its own merit, but instead because it was featured in this thread? I know that I clicked on the image specifically because it was posted here.

While the AvPhoto forum certainly doesn't have a viewership that Facebook or Twitter do, promotion is promotion. And granted, shots get posted in threads all the time in AvPhoto, but usually not in their own threads specifically promoting said shots.

Quoting vishaljo (Reply 6):
The purpose of the thread was to highlight (what i feel) a very fine photograph of a rare airliner from an even rarer location.

I don't particularly care whether this thread stays or goes, but upon thinking about it, I must admit it doesn't set a good precedent. Soon enough we could have photographers from all over starting threads to promote single photos.

I think this is why we have threads like these:

The Beauty Of The Last Light Of The Day. (by 747438 Jul 14 2011 in Aviation Photography)
The Return Of The WOW Shot Thread (by javibi Jul 15 2011 in Aviation Photography)

Also, the following statements appear contradictory:

i proposed they'd rather promote this one instead.
Just so you know, the thread wasnt started to seek to promote the shot on fb/twitter

You can't really say "well, if they're going to promote, then promote this one!" AND "this thread isn't intended to promote". It just doesn't make sense.

I guess what I'm trying to say in this rather muddled post is that if you're against promotion, then be against it! Anyway, no offense intended - I'm just pondering.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

vishaljo
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 7):
if you're against promotion, then be against it!

I hear you mate. My point is, (unfortunately) they dont really seem to care what's fair or unfair to the photographer.

|Again| despite there being an almost unanimous cry against the method of promotion, they'll do whatever they like & it seems like a lost case.

While the fact remains that i aint entirely pleased with it, I'm only trying to adapt to the change   

I think this is why we have threads like these:

The Return Of The WOW Shot Thread (by javibi Jul 15 2011 in Aviation Photography)

THATS ^ the thread i first went to post the image in, turns-out it was locked & therefore..........

Garyck
Crew

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:37 am

So now that this shot (which is quite nice, by the way) has made the Top 5, can we say that it didn't make it there on its own merit, but instead because it was featured in this thread? I know that I clicked on the image specifically because it was posted here.

I saw this coming the second I read the post yesterday morning. I'm a little suprised that no one from A.net has put their view on this obvious 'promotion' of shot. Either it is allowed or Not? But judging on yesterdays performance, it looks like its allowed.

sulman

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:17 pm

We used to call this 'plugging' back in the day...
It takes a big man to admit they are wrong, and I am not a big man.

Rotate

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:02 am

Well, nice photo of a DC 10 ... , so? I really dont understand the hype of this thread - but this might only be me ...
ABC

spencer

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm sorry but have I missed something? Promotion? Where? Who? How? I saw the ETD A346 (I believe it was) that made several k's hits, was that a so-called promo? Cmon, seriously?... How sad.
Spence
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

vikkyvik

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Quoting Garyck (Reply 9):
I saw this coming the second I read the post yesterday morning.

Saw my post coming? Or saw the photo making the Top 5?

Quoting spencer (Reply 12):

Honest question - I don't understand your post. Can you clarify the point you're making? Thanks.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

spencer

Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:36 am

Read VJ's reply (6), 5th paragraph. I should've quoted it, sorry.
Basically I've totally missed this whole promotion thing and how it's being implemented. From the sound of it any shot, good or bad, that gets promoted, can stand a good chance of receiving serious exposure?
Spence
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM