ba777-236

Spotting In HNL?

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:38 pm

(Appologies if this thread is in the wrong section)

I will be in Honolulu later this month and was wondering if anyone knows of good places to spot? I was told by a friend that you can spot in the terminal itself? And one of the blogs was talking about getting a "spotters permit" of sorts from the airport???

Also, wondering what is the best day/time for spotting? I would like to see the the heavies that HNL has to offer.

Any help would be appreciated!
I like British Airways! I'm not sure why, but I do! ;-)

rgreenftm

RE: Spotting In HNL?

Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Sand Island state park seems like it would be a pretty good spot - at least for landings from that side.

I've also watched from Keehi Lagoon State Park, and it was an okay spot - super close to the airport - in fact just down the street from the Airport Enterprise RAC location.

QANTAS747-438

Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Here's a great fan site. Check out the left side of the site where it goes into detail about spotting at HNL.

http://hnlrarebirds.blogspot.com/
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

gabik001

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:48 am

I was at HNL once . I was used to spotting Lagoon Drive (good view of Reef runway but early morning or late afternoon because is located nort of runway) and some landings on both rwy's 4R and 4L . Also good view of water runway (along Lagoon drive) . Good place is a Sand Island mentioned above so you can get heavies on departure (I got some KC-135's and C-5's) . I was also a while on a parking lot on some street near Kamaka Air facility.
I remeber that if you have boarding pass walkways between concourses are open air so you can find good place for taking pictures during waiting for your flight.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Minolta X300 w/ 35-70 f/3.5

je89_w
Crew

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:54 pm

The end of Lagoon Drive would be your best bet for photography, just be careful of the airport security and sheriffs (apply for a pass if staying in Honolulu for a longer period of time). Otherwise, be discreet and put your camera away when not shooting.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Je89 W.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Je89 W.

The position of the sun for Reef Runway movements will not be in your favor this time of year, unfortunately.

Quoting rgreenftm (Reply 1):
Sand Island state park seems like it would be a pretty good spot
Quoting gabik001 (Reply 3):
Good place is a Sand Island

Not the greatest spot, quite interesting to note that two of the three replies mentioned it! It's not the safest place to bring your valuables, so exercise caution when shooting from there.

Aloha, and have fun!

ba777-236

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:00 pm

Quoting je89_w (Reply 4):
The end of Lagoon Drive would be your best bet for photography, just be careful of the airport security and sheriffs (apply for a pass if staying in Honolulu for a longer period of time).

Thanks... How exactly do you apply for a pass? To be honest, I've never heard of a spotters pass before?

I will be in Hawaii for a week, so I'd like to spot at least twice.. not sure if that's worth it then?
I like British Airways! I'm not sure why, but I do! ;-)