warden145
Topic Author

Can Anyone Recommend A Super-zoom Camera?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Hello!

Forgive me if this has been discussed at length before...I admit that my searching skills leave much to be desired, and I imagine that every thread on this is unique anyways.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a super-zoom camera for plane-spotting purposes? I'm thinking something along the lines of the Canon PowerShot SX40 or the Kodak EasyShare Max (although the fact that that review complained about low-light performance probably just put the Kodak camera out of the running), although I am certainly open to suggestions.

My primary reason for wanting the zoom capability is for plane-spotting, which is why I thought it would be appropriate to post here; please forgive me if this isn't proper. I'm currently using an old Kodak DX7590, which was good for its day, but by current standards, doesn't have enough zoom ability, and has difficulty with getting clear shots of moving aircraft (or moving anything) and does terribly in low-light situations. I'm looking for the ability to do more plane-spotting with reasonable-quality photographs, and would also like a good general-purpose camera...unfortunately, I'm not financially ready for a D-SLR and also am looking for something that's slightly more compact (although something that's similar in size or a bit bigger than the DX7590's okay).

I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer...thank you in advance!  
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

vikkyvik

RE: Can Anyone Recommend A Super-zoom Camera?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Quoting warden145 (Thread starter):
unfortunately, I'm not financially ready for a D-SLR and also am looking for something that's slightly more compact

If the Powershot SX40 is the one I'm thinking of, then a Canon Rebel XS or similar DSLR is neither significantly bigger nor significantly more expensive, and it will probably have significantly better quality.

Of course, "significantly" is subjective.  
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

trvyyz

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:59 am

Quoting warden145 (Thread starter):

If you buy used DSLR and lens from adorama or B&H, it should not cost as much as these superzooms.
Image quality of these superzooms are not great since they have tiny sensors.

[Edited 2011-12-05 17:09:54]

comair25

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:15 am

vikk is right about the Rebel XS

Body only..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...X0DER&pf_rd_r=0YA6K6SA9JSG2PC3EXFN

Then go pick out a telephoto lens that will work for you. Something like this will last you for a little while, until you can save up for some good glass.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250mm...nics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323144951&sr=1-1

[Edited 2011-12-05 20:17:15]