evall95
Topic Author

Nikon 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6 VR Thoughts

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi guys just looking at buying this lens to replace my old kit lens (18-55) and just wanted to know what your thoughts are on this lens.

thanks  

Geezer

RE: Nikon 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6 VR Thoughts

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:19 am

Nikon 18-105 F/3.5-5.6 VR

How to say this...........it's not one of Nikon's more expensive lenses; it's definitely not one of Nikon's faster lenses

It's a reasonable solution to a particular segment of the market

Look at it this way...........no two people wanting to buy a lens are in the same circumstances; that fact makes it nearly impossible for anyone to make objective comments about a particular lens, to someone whose circumstances you know absolutely nothing about.

Any F/3.5-5.6 lens is not fast (read: high quality, expensive, etc.)

Will it produce "acceptable" photographs ? it all depends; on many things; ( mostly, the guy with the camera )

With lenses, you pretty much get what you pay for; if you pay a lot, usually you can expect a lot; if you pay less, you should probably expect less.

Ask yourself a few questions..........do you normally take mostly photos on bright, sunny days ? if the answer is yes, a 3.5-5.6 lens may be plenty fast enough; if you plan to take photos on cloudy, not so sunny days, you may need a faster lens.

Having said all that........remember this; after all is said and done, the quality of your pictures will always depend a lot more on what you know about photography, than on what lens you are using.
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

trvyyz

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:15 pm

I switched from C to N recently. I used to have a 24-105F4L IS, but moving to Nikon I bought it with the kit 18-105. Way too slow and not very sharp imo. Although my comparison may look unfair, I still believe it is too slow. I have shot once for aviation and then never bothered. My sigma 18-50 F2.8 is much better.

On the bright side , it is a good/acceptable lens for non-action shots.

Jez

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:38 pm

I use one. It's fine.

Review from Thom Hogan:

http://www.bythom.com/Nikkor18-105lensreview.htm

iamlucky13

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:23 pm

It's a good upgrade over the 18-55. More consistent performance both in the corners compared to the center, and at differing apertures and focal lengths.

It's certainly not a pro-level lens, but it costs much less. Nor is it long enough to be a primary spotting lens, but sufficient for shooting from closer up positions, and very useful for your general photography interests.