Topic Author

747 Row 64 Window Photos

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:11 pm

Hi everyone
I am flying to New York with Virgin for my 50th in early April.My wife prefers to have the two seats at the back so she can wander around more,i would have prefered closer to the wing,so my problem is, can you get good acceptable wing shots from so far back.The last time i flew on a 747,we were in these seats,but i cannot remember much about the view, and it was years before Anet.
Should i even bother taking my camera.

RE: 747 Row 64 Window Photos

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:35 pm

The amount of distortion introduced by the window pane curvature would prevent good shots including the wing.

The upside is that should you want to get shots of ground objects such as airfields or interesting geographical phenomena you would not have the wing to clutter your view. I was able to snap an excellent shot of the Manhattan Bridge a few years ago and fortunately the wing was not in the shot to ruin it.

Of course, if your intention is to get undistorted shots with the wing in it you'll be out of luck, unless you decide to shoot through one of the portholes in one of the exit doors opposite the galley. I flew a Virgin 744 last June and was able to do that.