mhodgson
Topic Author

Contrast On Uploading

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:14 pm

I have recently had a number of my photos rejected for contrast, which has been a little surprising as I've been making sure that contrast looks realistic before saving them in readiness.

A case in point is this one, which was rejected this morning (for soft as well, admittedly):
http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...28298387.8674lx-stcmanmh030212.jpg

However, when I open the uploaded image directly from my PC, the colours are much more vivid and I'd argue that the contrast is correct (hence why I uploaded it).

What I don't understand is why the contrast has changed on uploading (and this isn't an anet issue; it happened to the copy I put on Flickr and another file storage site as well which is why I can't put up the original image to compare!); and what can I do to prevent/work around this? Is it some strange post-processing feature employed by Windows or Google Chrome?

Thanks
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Nicke
Crew

RE: Contrast On Uploading

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:39 pm

Try to save the image using "Save for web and devices"(convert to sRGB selected) instead of saving regularly in Photoshop as this may prevent the loss of saturation when uploading.

[Edited 2012-02-12 04:42:55]

mhodgson
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks; that appears to have solved it. Having uploaded my edited image it now looks the same as it does in PS (and much better than the rejected image!).

Thanks for your help.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

mhodgson
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:29 am

further update - saving for web appears to work:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Martin Hodgson