LH234
Topic Author

550D+17-85 Vs. 60D

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Hey guys,

I have some problems with my 450D (processing takes really long,"start-up" fails although it's fully loaded,the shutter-relase get's stucked while shooting)... I was already in contactwith Canon Germany but a reparation would be very expensive.

Now I wanted to ask you guys what's better: Buy a relatively cheap EOS 550D )and maybe spend the remaing amount on a 17-85 as I don't own a good lens in this category) or buy a 60D from the upper series?

We had a discussion here before about the 60D , and you guys told me that spending money on lenses is the more diplomatic way than investing in a expensive body.
I would use my Canon 100-400L lens on the bodies.

The 550D is similar to the 60D (18MP,movie-function ecc.) , so I am between this two cameras.
I really agonize about this decision and just wanted you to give me some support about it so that I know that I make the right decision!

Thanks in advance,

Marius

CaptainKramer

RE: 550D+17-85 Vs. 60D

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi LH234,

I have a Canon 60D that came with a Canon EFS 17-85mm lens. I am happy with my 60D so long as I don't look at the results from a Canon 7D, even if it just by looking at the LCD display, WOW, but seriously IMHO a Canon 60D is very good for the price. However I have found in certain instances that the 17-85mm at full wide shows up chromatic aberation which often ruins the shot, that not even software can save. Just my 2cents/pence worth.

JWM

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:43 pm

In that situation, get the 60D. I've got 550D, and it's not very "sporty" little camera. IQ is great for the price, but at 3,7fps and buffer of 6 raw:s it's not really a aviation photography tool. You win in speed and handling if you take the 60D, IQ is similar and so are the high-ISO:s.

Hope this helped
/JWM  

afterburner

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:33 pm

From what I've read in reviews and forums, Canon 17-85mm is not a good lens (the 15-85mm is a better lens). And the 60D is a class above 550D.