shufflemoomin
Topic Author

Useful Tool For Photographing/spotting

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:36 am

As I was recently given advice to be more mindful of the sun's position relative to the aircraft I was photographing, I thought this tool might come in useful for other people as it has for me:
http://suncalc.net

RonS

RE: Useful Tool For Photographing/spotting

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:06 pm

I've been using it a bit when I need it, it is a great tool indeed. Really helps me visualize where the sun will rise and set, and I pick my location accordingly. Great site! If only they could predict when the sun would get blocked by low clouds or when you would simply have a great sunrise with no traffic, I would buy stock in the company! Ehh, but that would take the fun out of it I guess...
All opinions expressed by me are my own opinions & do not represent the opinions in any way of my employers.

JohnKrist
Crew

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Ron, don't you know that all exotic newsworthy aircraft carries their own low cloud?

Thanks for the link shufflemoonin! Really nice  
Airliners.net Crew-Head Support
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

hanbar

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:07 pm

A very nice site as you can drag the sunposition to any part of the airfield. You can easely see what is the best time on what place, if any sun is predicted, of course.   

RonS

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Quoting johnkrist (Reply 2):
exotic newsworthy aircraft carries their own low cloud?

If it ain't a low morning cloud blocking a stunning sunrise it's a sudden lack of aircraft for those precious minutes, dare I say seconds really, when the sun first rises or sets. It's luck of the draw!
All opinions expressed by me are my own opinions & do not represent the opinions in any way of my employers.