amsspot
Topic Author

Spotting At Calgary Without Car

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:48 am

Hello Calgarians (and others),

This summer I will be heading to Banff for a GAP-year from University. Before I head out into the wilderness I really want to do some plane spotting. I will be spending a few days in Calgary and was wondering if there are any spotting locations around YYC where I can get to on foot or by public transport (I will not have a car). Will there be any other spotters around? Is plane spotting popular at YYC?

Best regards,
Miles

skingjack

RE: Spotting At Calgary Without Car

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:11 am

Amsspot,

The following link might be of assistance:

http://www.contrailsphotography.com/spottingyyc.html

I imagine some of the areas described would be accessible from the main terminal via a short taxi ride ( may be even a walk... I've only taken pictures from inside the terminal).

Also, some may no longer be suitable/accessible as I believe the the guide is somewhat old???

Naturally, public transport will be able to take you the airport itself.

HTH.

Skingjack

alevik
Crew

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi Miles;

Spotting is quite popular at CYYC, and the authorities are very supportive, including having an Airport Watch program.

Most of the more popular spots are not accessible by any form of public transit, however. I have a spotting guide for CYYC that I can send you if you PM me your email. If I happen to be in town I can meet you and drive you to a spot.

Pete
Improvise, adapt, overcome.

amsspot
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:28 am

Thanks a lot for your replies. The guide at contrailsphotography.com is very useful.