ryanstan95
Topic Author

DFW Spotting

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:47 pm

Hey all,
I live in Austin, and I went out for my first spotting trip today, and I loved it. However, I do have a question. I have cousins that live in Dallas, and I was wondering if there are any good spots (heh) to spot planes there? Founders' Plaza seems to come up again and again, but are there any other places? Camera range isn't a big deal-I've got a 5d MKIII and I can blow photos waaaay up with no loss of quality, as well as a 100-300 L series.
Anyway, any help is appriciated!
Thanks,
Ryan

cruce

RE: DFW Spotting

Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:26 am

Spotting Areas At LAX, IAH, DFW, And SEA (by ArospcAirAvitin Jan 29 2012 in Aviation Photography)?threadid=372466&searchid=372466&s=DFW+Spotting#ID372466

the third post in that thread should give you some ideas. I found one for 13R morning arrivals that may or may not still be good since I haven't been there in over 8 months and there was a ton of construction going on around it.

Bone Daddy's Parking lot: map it, address should be in Grapevine, TX. Not bad to stop in for lunch and eye candy after shooting either  

Your 100-300 lens should be adequate at any location, maybe pushing it a little at the simuflite lot.

NPeterman

RE: DFW Spotting

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:57 am

As the author or the "third post in that thread" I thought I'd chime in here as well. All of that info still stands as valid. In addition, there are other places that carry a somewhat increased likelihood of being asked to move along by various authorities. PM/Email me for details, as I don't like to make a habit of posting location info publicly, and then having someone come after me of they have a bad experience.

You may also have to share where in Austin you go spotting, as I'll soon be calling that area home...

NPeterman