planewatcher
Topic Author

To Dulles (KIAD) Spotters

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Pardon my lack of technical vocabulary, but sometimes I see landing planes go parallel or over route 28 in the south direction then turn northward to line up with the runway, and on some occassions, they land going south. However, because of the recent incident and the FAA action to stop direction switching, does that mean all approaches will come from the south (i.e from the museum side)? Thank you.

NPeterman

RE: To Dulles (KIAD) Spotters

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:08 am

Dulles has 4 runways, 3 of which are parallel and run north-south, and the 4th which is primarily used for departures. They will vary which way they land on the 1s/192 depending on prevailing winds. Landings on 1R are visible from the Smithsonian, with 19L being visible from near the terminal building. The only real changes that the new FAA rules should bring is some delays if they change from 1s to 19s during a rush period (it gets dang quiet at Dulles during times of the day).

Kiadprthd

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 pm

NPeterman,
Have you ever done any spotting when the evening heavies are using 30 for departures? I am looking for somewhere to take pictures when they are using 30 and from looking at Google, it looks like there are some spots off Old Ox road. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Andrew

planewatcher
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks for the replies..I had some time to go to the area myself today, and it looked like there were approaches from both ends. I would love to find a good spot for an A124 arrival or departure, but it seems they have stopped coming now.