ckw
Topic Author

Oly OM-D EM-5

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Just got the above camera as a replacement for my Canon 7D (which got damaged beyond economic repair).

This is a really impressive little camera and can do pretty much anything a DSLR can do (and some things they can't).
The weak points are lack of an optical viewfinder - the EVF is good, and certainly very usable, but I could see this may be a deal breaker for some. The other problem, particularly for aviation photographers, is that continuous focus is slower and less reliable than you might expect from a DSLR. Single shot, on the other hand, is lightning fast.

Image quality is the big surprise - though the lowest ISO is 200, image quality easily beats the 7D at 100 ISO. I thought this was perhaps me looking at the results through 'new owners' eyes, but recently released DX0 ratings would seem to back this impression. It uses a Sony sensor, so perhaps not such a surprise.

Anyway, if one can live with the obvious continuous focus limitation, this little camera packs quite a punch, and has a lot to offer. It certainly raises the m43 format to the point where it is a viable alternative to crop sensor cameras.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Silver1SWA
Crew

RE: Oly OM-D EM-5

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:18 pm

This little camera is sweeping through one of my photo communities. Some of my friends ditching their entire SLR lineup.

I've been focused on going the opposite direction as I have just gone full frame with the 5D2.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ckw
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:06 pm

I should say I still have my 5D3 - but the way I see it, FF is the 'new' medium format while mirrorless cameras are the new 35mm. In fact the OM-D is not much off the size and weight of the 35mm film OM-1/OM-2. It's quite remarkable how large (d)slrs have become since the 70s

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:28 pm

Colin,

What do you think of the colors produced by the OM-D? I'm noticing something consistent across all shots I have seen from friends using this camera. The colors are very warm and saturated. Now I realize this has a lot to do with ones processing techniques, but these are photos from people who also shoot with 5Ds and I have never notice it before from them. It's getting to the point that I can look at a photo and tell immediately it was taken with the OM-D before seeing the EXIF.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ANITIX87

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:22 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 3):
The colors are very warm and saturated.

I switched from Olympus to Canon back in 2009 and I still have a hard time adjusting to the lack of saturation in the shots I get from Canon. I much preferred the vibrance and warmth of my Olympus cameras. So you're definitely right to notice this.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

ckw
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 3):

What do you think of the colors produced by the OM-D?

To be honest I haven't had time to take a sufficient variety of pics yet to form a strong view on this, but my initial impression is the images look a bit more 'film like' - specifically Fuji Provia - than those from my 5D. Maybe a little warmer - or at least oranges and reds seem more vibrant, but I'll need to do some portraits to really get a feel for this. What did stand out immediately was that blue skies are very nicely rendered.

But its early days - after many years shooting Canon and having tuned my post processing to get the results I want, I'm pretty sure that this won't get the best from the Oly - that will take some time to work out.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel