mikek1357
Topic Author

IS/OS/VR At Airshows

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm wondering how many of you use your lens stabilizer at airshows, where planes make sudden movements. Mode 2 or active mode with vr is used for panning, but when a plane makes sudden changes in one of its axes, I can imagine it'll work against you.

So do you use it at airshows or not and what's your reason to turn it on or off?

ckw

RE: IS/OS/VR At Airshows

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 am

Yes, in mode 2.

Mode 2 should automatically switch to either stabilising the vertical or horizontal axis - the camera detects which way the camera is moving. If you are moving the camera diagonally, the IS will determine which direction is the primary movement, and apply stabilisation to the other axis - in short this will be less effective.

If you are panning an aircraft horizontaly and it suddenly goes vertical, it is quite likely that the IS will temporarily become confused, but it should quite quickly reset (a second or so). Just don't shoot while you change direction of the pan - which in my experience is pretty unlikely anyway, as you generally need a moment or 2 to reframe the image.

That's of course if you are shooting stills. Video is another matter.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

ptrjong

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:43 am

Nikon VR Active mode is for shooting from a moving vehicle. Normal mode is recommended for panning.

[Edited 2013-02-04 03:44:53]
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

mikek1357
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Oops I should've known, I have used Nikon VR lenses, lol 

megatop412

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Once you get into the higher shutter speeds used for high-speed passes VR/IS becomes less important in getting a sharp shot. Shots of air to air refueling demos, helo demos, and the slower aerobatic teams like the Geico Skytypers do actually benefit from image stabilizing.

vikkyvik

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Quoting ckw (Reply 1):
Yes, in mode 2.

Same here, when using a lens that has IS. But I've shot plenty at air shows without IS, since my 70-200 doesn't have it.

Quoting mikek1357 (Thread starter):
I'm wondering how many of you use your lens stabilizer at airshows, where planes make sudden movements.
Quoting ckw (Reply 1):
If you are panning an aircraft horizontaly and it suddenly goes vertical

I doubt there are many aircraft that will change direction so sharply that you'll lose valuable shooting time. After all, it's not like it's a sharp corner from horizontal to vertical. They have to pass through all the angles in between first.  

Frankly, it's usually so bright at airshows that it doesn't make much difference if I use IS or not.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Jez

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:43 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 5):
Frankly, it's usually so bright at airshows that it doesn't make much difference if I use IS or not.

Maybe where you live!!  

mikek1357
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Lol, I wish. Let me see, clouds, sun and rain, plenty of it. Usually at airshows over here the weather is ok.

ptrjong

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:02 pm

I read that IS/VR is better turned off if shutter speed is faster than 1/500th, unless you are panning. Which means that in aviation photography it should usually be turned on I suppose. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please.

Peter 
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

vikkyvik

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:57 pm

Quoting Jez (Reply 6):
Maybe where you live!!

True.  
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ckw

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:11 am

Quoting ptrjong (Reply 8):
I read that IS/VR is better turned off if shutter speed is faster than 1/500th, unless you are panning.

Well it would partly depend on what lens you are using. IS does drain the battery, so if you are using a safe handhold speed, maybe you don't need it. I've also had the occasional shot ruined because the IS got 'confused', but on the whole, with my lenses, I cannot see any reason not to turn it off based on image quality concerns. Of course other lenses may differ - its hard to have a general rule with so many variations out there - I think Canon alone has had at least 5 different versions. In fact it may be that the IS in any particular lens is subtly different from any other.

I prefer to leave it on all the time, because I'm certain I'll forget to turn it back on when I need it.

One definite time to turn it off are those lenses which do not automatically 'tripod detect'. Some lenses MUST have IS turned off when on a tripod.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel