ariis
Topic Author

DXB In-terminal Photo-spotting

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi there,

As far as I have searched through the Web and forums I could only find older posts, so I would like to ask about current status.

So, is it OK to take photos from inside the DXB terminal (transit area of terminal 3 to be precise)? Photos of parked planes through the windows, I mean. Not using a 400 mm bazooka-like lens or even tripod, just some usual DSLR with a compact telezoom - casual stuff.

I will be connecting at DXB in a few months and I would like to take this chance to catch some aircraft on my record. Just wanted to know if I can do it more or less freely (as in Europe) without attracting the security personnel or if I will need to shoot with my phone cam off my ear while pretending I am talking.  

Thanks in advance for any tips!

FAO
FAO - Flight Activities Officer

erikgrinsvall

RE: DXB In-terminal Photo-spotting

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:51 am

Hi There,

Yes, it is allowed to take photos inside all of the Concourses/Terminals. However, the windows are horribly designed for "spotters" due to that they are somewhat curved, blue tinted, and cut off after 4m so you can get close to it.

I've used a 70-200mm lens, whilst point it out on a departing A380, and one of the EK Staff members "ran" up to me and curiously asked how it turned out... So they're laid back there, and if it would not be allowed, then security would have h*ll by running around waving off people. But then yet again, I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly; tomorrow, introduced a new rule that photographing would be prohibited inside the Concourse's/Terminals.

So enjoy you're short stay in dubai and hope you get anything out of it.

Rgds,

Erik

ariis
Topic Author

RE: DXB In-terminal Photo-spotting

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Erik,

Thanks VERY MUCH for your informative response. I feel kind of relieved now - never been to Middle East before so this stopover is for me an adventure in itself.

Now let's just hope they keep this attitude until May when I'm gonna be there.

As for the spotter-unfriendly windows, well, we can't help much about it. I'll do my best.

Thanks again!

FAO
FAO - Flight Activities Officer