dennys
Topic Author

Is Spotting In AUH AirPort Possible?

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:34 am

Hello ,
I may have to go to AUH this year . Is it possible to take aircrafts pictures inside and outside the Airport. ?
Many Thanks .
Regards

SpaceshipDC10

RE: Is Spotting In AUH AirPort Possible?

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:56 am

The number of pictures available in here are probably a clue. Plus here's a previous thread on that matter. I guess things haven't changed that much since.

Spotting @ Abu Dhabi (by Andreas777 Feb 6 2001 in Aviation Photography)

scbriml

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 1):
Plus here's a previous thread on that matter. I guess things haven't changed that much since.

Well, things have changed a fair bit since 2001 - a second runway and a new terminal for a start!

Photography from the old circular terminal was just about impossible (although the terminal interior is magnificent and well worth photographing.)

The new terminal offers semi-reasonable views of the ramp and taxiing aircraft. If you can find a gate without a plane parked, it might be possible to get some photos, but this is airside I'm talking about.

The only landside opportunity was a cafe which offered some views of the runway, but at quite a distance. Of course, heat haze kills most shots here anyway.

Outside the airport there are few locations that offer even half-decent opportunities and you will need a 4x4 to go off-road. I lived in Dubai for nine months and visited AUH three or four times and I never managed a single shot good enough to upload here.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

SpaceshipDC10

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:16 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 2):
Well, things have changed a fair bit since 2001 - a second runway and a new terminal for a start!

I wasn't talking about airport development but of the possibility to make pictures there.

Fly-K

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:58 am

Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 3):
I wasn't talking about airport development but of the possibility to make pictures there

... which in turn has an effect on the possibility of photos... having said that, I agree with scbriml that AUH is very limited. The approach over the new Yas Island development might allow for some opportunities though.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

dazbo5

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:06 pm

I was in AUH twice in September 2012 and fund it pretty difficult to get any photos. The lighting in the morning rush means you're shooting in to the sun for the most part. If you're on a flight in the afternoon wave it might be better, but there are a lot ob obstructions and the glass has strong tints in places making it difficult to get anything from the terminal.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX