awaisjd
Topic Author

Copyrights With Image Printing

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:27 am

Hi All,
I have a question to ask which might not be suited to this forum but someone might have some information in regards,
I wish to use images of vintage airliners which i have taken myself or bought of someone here from the gallery. If i intend to uuse that image on a tshirt and use that for commercial use, is it only a matter of purchasing the image from the photographer? Or are there copyright issues with the content of the image. For example i intend to use an image of the B17 bomber. Would there be any copyrights to use the B17 on my tshirts? Any help would be appretiated.

NZ107

RE: Copyrights With Image Printing

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:06 am

Quoting awaisjd (Thread starter):
for commercial use, is it only a matter of purchasing the image from the photographer?

Theoretically yes, but you'll need to also be requesting it for commercial use - a license which is far more expensive than one for non-commercial use; for reasons which should be quite obvious.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

awaisjd
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:01 am

I understand that .. but my question is in regards the actual content which is the Aircraft. Are there any copyrights on the aircraft itself. Do i have to pay for copyrights to the photographer and the american government or whoever owns rights to the plane?

NZ107

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:33 am

Quoting awaisjd (Reply 2):
Do i have to pay for copyrights to the photographer and the american government or whoever owns rights to the plane?

Just the photographer.
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

ckw

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 am

I believe US government works are copyright free anyway - that is, the markings on the aircraft, not the photograph itself which is copyrighted to the photographer. With regard to airlines you may have an issue in using the trademarks of the airline for such purposes (different rules than copyright) though I would think that in the case of vintage airlines any trademark protection would have lapsed.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel