andspran
Topic Author

Tamron Lens....fail.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Some disappointing results from my new Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 lens. I just purchased this lens. There were some very good reviews for this lens and I decided to get one. I used the lens in the store, thought it handled well, focused fast, and I especially like the fact that Tamron put image stabilization in the lens. For some reason I can't understand, Nikon doesn't have VR in their 24-70mm 2.8 lens. Maybe it's so darn expensive now that they don't want to have to raise the price to compensate for adding the VR? So I went with the Tamron. It is also a bit less money for the Tamron.
After taking some random shots last evening, I discovered that the lens goes very soft at 70mm. And not just a little. It is quite a noticeable change in sharpness from say, 50mm to 70. And it doesn't just get soft around the edges. Even at the focal center of the lens things are not sharp. 50 looks great, 70 doesn't.
Back at the camera shop, they agreed. I could have sent the lens back to Tamron for "adjustment", but once that seed of discontent is planted, I will always doubt the lens. The shop let me return the lens, and I decided to go with the Nikkor. They sold the one I had tried out before I got the Tamron, so the new lens should be here Wed. Can't wait to give it a go!
Has anyone heard any bad comments on the new Tamron 2.8? The guys at the shop said mine was the first negative feedback they've had on that lens.
Andspran