Silver1SWA
Crew
Topic Author

Apple's Retina Display And Photo Editing

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:13 pm

I'm in need of a new laptop computer so I can take care of photography business on the go. I'm seriously considering 13 inch MacBook Pro with retina. I'm not interested in a debate on PC vs Mac as I'm pretty set on this. But my one concern is photo editing on the retina screen. I have both an iPhone and iPad and I LOVE viewing photos on the retina screen, but I'm afraid it will be hard to edit photos for the screen, particularly concerned about how photos will look to someone not viewing them on the same display. Naturally, editing for airliners.net is one of my concerns as the screeners, to my knowledge, are not screening on retina displays.

So anyone editing photos using a retina display and if so, anything to be concerned about?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

seachaz

RE: Apple's Retina Display And Photo Editing

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Don't have a retina display but have a 27" which has a fairly high pixel density compared to most standard monitors. Getting the sharpness right is probably the hardest thing and I still fall back to my older 20" for that. The retina takes that to a whole new level - same number of pixels as the 30" Cinema Display, so a 1024 pixel wide image is ~4.4 inches wide on the 13" Macbook pro - very hard to see the sharpening detail that is required to get photos accepted here. Think your best bet is to use an external monitor, else the trial and error with what gets accepted could take a while.

Silver1SWA
Crew
Topic Author

RE: Apple's Retina Display And Photo Editing

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks. Yeah sharpening is my biggest concern, especially for low res edits.

I should clarify that this will not replace my desktop computer which will continue to be my primary editing computer. I just need something so I can take my work with me on the go, particularly at work where I have a good amount of downtime.

With the exception of Airliners.net, most of my photo editing needs involve high res edits so I imagine that will be doable on a 13 inch retina screen.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.