notaxonrotax
Topic Author

Upload Queue, Picture Does Not Appear In Thumbnail

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:58 pm

Folks,

after having uploaded a picture today, the shot appeared at the bottom of my queue, number 10.....it has a thumbnail and everything. No problem.

But when I happened to click on ¨Medium¨below the picture I get the dreaded blue A-net default picture, while my other 9 pictures seem to give me the normal larger thumbnail when clicked!?

Do I need to re-upload?

Cheers,

NoTaxOnRotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

cv880m

RE: Upload Queue, Picture Does Not Appear In Thumbnail

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:31 pm

I had the same issue yesterday and today, but this happened after the photos were accepted into the database. The Medium image displays the default picture, but the Large version is OK. I reported it to the support folks yesterday, but no word so far on what's going on.

HC

Newark727

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:47 pm

I'm getting a similar issue for a photo that I uploaded just now. The thumbnail size in the upload queue is the default image but medium and large are fine.

powwwiii
Crew

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:03 am

I just had one too, the thumbnail size picture in my upload quene is shown as a default image, instead of the normal small picture as my other uploads. Click on it opens the large size upload without problem, hope this is just a bug.

andrew50

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:52 am

I had it happen also, wonder why someone from the site has not posted anything.

SNATH

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:02 am

This happened to me too. There was also an accepted picture a day or two ago (not mine) whose medium size version seemed to have the same issue. I've stopped uploading until the problem is resolved. I really wish the crew can comment on this soon-ish.

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

dendrobatid

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:41 am

The problem seems very sporadic and it has happened to very few images. It has been reported to the developers.
If it has happened to one of yours a reupload may fix the issue
http://www.airliners.net/reupload/

Mick Bajcar

vzlet

Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:36 am

Any suggestions for shots that are still in the queue, but have no medium-size version available?

-Mark
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

cvillandry

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:48 pm

I'm having the same issues also . I had a picture accepted two days ago and when you click on the thumbnail you get the default image logo . I also uploaded two pictures today and they are also represented by that default image logo.

kuip05

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Same problem here. The picture that I uploaded yesterday and now today shows "default image" - logo. Only when I click on "large" then the picture becomes visible.

regards,

Luc

cargolex

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:22 pm

I uploaded a photo this morning that developed this problem in the queue, but uploading it again and deleting the first upload fixed it. But now I have an accepted photo that shows the default logo on the standard medium size display image (the large image and the thumbnail image are okay).

Suggestions?

JakTrax

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:57 pm

So what will happen to images currently in the upload queue that display the A.net default image only? Will I need to re-upload or will they be screened normally and corrected if accepted?

dendrobatid

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:26 pm

The developers have been informed about this issue but in the meantime I pulled an image that was exhibiting the problem and added it to the database.
A re-upload then removed the problem so if you have any images that are showing as default, re-upload them here and hopefully they will get sorted out. http://www.airliners.net/reupload/

This can however sometimes take a few days

Mick Bajcar

FYODOR

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:46 pm

Still a problem with new uploaded photos.

Fyodor

henkita217

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:09 am

Yeah, just experienced this today.
Will the "default" photo cause any problems when it is due for screening? The LARGE version is viewable.
Should I pull the photo off altogether from the queue?

Regards,
Hendra

foxbatavia503

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Same problem. When loading new, the small picture and the average picture aren't displayed. If doesn't improve, we will correct reupload.  Smile

Max

[Edited 2013-04-03 05:53:38]

foxbatavia503

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:07 pm

At me for new loaded photos have repaired. Thanks.

MUC_Spotter

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Still some issues here. As this is right now a 'hit and miss' action I hope this will not mean that we have to upload the photos in question again. If yes it might a wise move to stop uploads until the problem is solved?

ptrjong

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Medium views are missing from all my uploads from 28 March until yesterday.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

foxbatavia503

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 pm

Unfortunately I was mistaken. The problem remained with me.

spiplane

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 12):

So can we assume photos uploaded with this problem can still go through the normal screening process and be accepted?

Please confirm.

Thx, Paul
A380 fan

Psych

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Ah - I see I have the same issue with some of my currently queued photos.

Out of interest, who views photos at medium size? Is it mainly on mobiles? I must say that in all my time here I have never chosen to click on the medium photo.

...And here's one for the statisticians.....if a photo is clicked, but all the viewer sees is the default A.net image, is the photo still credited with a view?

Paul

esair

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:06 am

yep same problem here .......i guess i wont upload until the problem is solved.

Esair.

powwwiii
Crew

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:51 am

Well, now a "default image" made the top 5!! I feel it is kind of funny, I guess part of the reason that picture made top 5 is people are curious to see what is this "default image", so it got more clicks.

[Edited 2013-04-03 18:04:47]

andrew50

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:55 am

How long does it take to come up for a fix for this problem! Default image in the top 5, frustrating.

Psych

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 am

Quoting powwwiii (Reply 23):
Well, now a "default image" made the top 5!!

So does that mean the 'medium' image becomes the thumbnail? If so, that is more serious. But then how come the 'thumbnail' in the upload queue looks fine?

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 6):
The problem seems very sporadic and it has happened to very few images

I have 18 in the queue, spread over a few days (29.3. to 1.4), and 7 appear to be affected by this. If similar proportions are reported by others this may be a more significant issue.

Paul

P.S. Well I have just tried to upload a couple of images, and they appear as the 'Default' image even in the queue now. There's a real glitch here.

[Edited 2013-04-03 23:51:36]

ptrjong

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:49 am

No Paul, the thumnbail is the 'small' image which is also missing in some cases.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

ThierryD
Crew

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:06 am

Hey guys,

the developers are still working on the issue.

So far it looks as if mainly the medium size of the pictures is affected. We have no reports yet of the Large size being affected hence the screening of the pictures can continue.
Also views should be credited normally as only the display of the photo is affected but not any links connected to it.

I know this is a pain in the ass issue but we hope to solve it quickly and will let you know about the progress and the possible need to re-upload certain photos. As you may know though the re-upload function is rather quick and will retain all your views for the given photo(s).

For further information or requests you may of course also contact us at support ( support@airliners.net ) at any time.

Kind Regards,

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

Psych

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks for the update Thierry.

I did a quick experiment earlier on, uploading a few photos. All of them had a problem - either at the point of upload the thumbnail itself appeared as the 'Default' A.net image, or the upload appeared to be okay, but then the medium image is just the default.

What concerned me more was to see this 'Default' thumbnail in the Top 5. Having a medium format image not appear is one thing to the photographer (i.e. their photo thumbnail can be seen in the database and therefore be 'of interest/attractive' to potential viewers, so they might open the image and the photograph will be credited with a view come what may etc), but if the actual thumbnail doesn't show in the database then many more may not bother to look at that (though one being in the Top 5 doesn't support that premise!).

I suppose what I am saying is that which size image is being affected by this glitch has different implications for the photographer. I don't want a few of my photos next week to be accepted with a thumbnail not showing, and not to be around to reupload (I am on holiday and away from the site). I would prefer the image not to be there at all until the issue is resolved. So I would like confirmation that if the thumbnail is appearing okay in the queue then this means - if accepted - the thumbnail will also appear okay in the database.

So what is the advice on that?

Paul

ThierryD
Crew

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:54 am

I agree with you, Paul, that a 'default' tumbnail has bigger implications than 'only' a default medium size.

Quoting Psych (Reply 28):

I cannot tell you as we haven't got any reports this concerning yet. I'll investigate though and let you know about the outcome.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

dlowwa

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:20 am

On a side note, this bug is also affecting appeals, which are showing up either as the default image, or not at all. For the time being, if there is a rejection you wish to appeal, please wait until a fix has been implemented, or there is a chance your appealed image will be lost. The appeal queue currently is very backlogged with corrupted images, which means none will be processed until a fix is found.

Thank you for your patience, and please know that none are more frustrated about this than we are. Unfortunately, we do not have any more information we can pass along, and we are simply waiting on the developers to find a resolution.

ptrjong

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks for the updates.

I pulled my photos with a missing thumbnail from the queue and succesfully uploaded them again. I will use the re-upload function for those with a missing medium size image, can't live without my acceptance fix for a week.

Peter 

PHX787

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:09 pm

I got "default image" when I just submitted my photo....

Small is showing up as "default image," Medium and Large are showing up but as heavily distorted versions of the image I just uploaded....... Should I re-upload this, or remove this from the queue until the problem's fixed?
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

ThierryD
Crew

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 32):

Zach, I'd strongly recommend you re-upload the mentioned photos as there is a very good chance they'll not display correctly.

Quoting Psych (Reply 28):

Paul, after getting the feedback from some screeners, it appears that if the photos display correctly during the upload process they'll also display correctly after being added to the database.

Hope this helps. Of course for any further requests, you may always post here or write us at Support.

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

PHX787

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Quoting thierryd (Reply 33):
Zach, I'd strongly recommend you re-upload the mentioned photos as there is a very good chance they'll not display correctly.

Ok I'm a newbie at all of this and I have no idea how to reupload a photo thats sitting in the queue... Do I delete from the queue and upload again?

ThierryD
Crew

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Zach, if the photo is in the queue you may only delete it from there and upload it again.
If the photo is already in the database you may re-upload it via the re-upload link: http://www.airliners.net/reupload/

Thierry
"Go ahead...make my day"

PanAm_DC10
Crew

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:04 am

Hi All,

The developers are currently running a script which should update the currently missing (default) images. Please allow some time for this to run and index. Unfortunately there is also a need for some new hardware on short notice which will continue to affect some who see the default when uploading. This is expected to be resolved next week.

We do apologise for the inconvenience caused by this and thank you for your patience while the developers continue their work.

Thanks and regards

Paul
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

PHX787

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:32 am

Looks like re-uploading isn't working either. I'll keep it in the queue for now, and when the script is fixed or whatever, please let us know Paul.

-Zach

dendrobatid

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:46 am

Zach
Re-uploading is not an instantaneous process, the re-uploads are actually screened so it can take a day or two.
However I have had to do three and all were fixed, though I did not get the usual re-upload e-mail and I only found out by re-checking

Mick Bajcar

andrew50

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:36 am

I tried to upload this morning, and the problem actually seems worse. When I click on the large view after uploading, in the photographers corner, I get the default image on that view. So I assume the photo could not be screened. This whole issue has been going on for at least a week now. Seems like a.net is on the bottom of the priority list for the DM developers.

jpmagero

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:23 pm

I just uploaded a photo this morning (8:15 AM US eastern time) and the thumbnail and all three sizes are showing the default image. I'm guessing it best to just wait for the script to run and that will fix them all? Or wait for further notice and re-upload?
John M - Aussie expat in the US

braby

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:59 pm

I've got 6 in the queue at the moment, when you click on the size under the thumbnail they show the correct image, I also have another image that no matter what i try only shows default image, is it worth keeping the first 6 in the queue?

Newark727

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Quoting braby (Reply 41):
is it worth keeping the first 6 in the queue?

I would say so. As long as the large size still shows, it's screenable, I believe (though if it gets rejected, apparently the screener can't always see the appeal, so don't do that.)

dlowwa

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Quoting jpmagero (Reply 40):
I just uploaded a photo this morning (8:15 AM US eastern time) and the thumbnail and all three sizes are showing the default image. I'm guessing it best to just wait for the script to run and that will fix them all? Or wait for further notice and re-upload?
Quoting braby (Reply 41):
is it worth keeping the first 6 in the queue?
Quoting Newark727 (Reply 42):
I would say so. As long as the large size still shows, it's screenable

Any upload that shows the default image, either for medium size or thumbnail, is currently Not being screened. We are hoping that whatever the developers are working on will remedy the problem for images already in the queue, but if not, it would be best to remove the ones showing default images as they will be rejected if and when they reach screening.

henkita217

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:15 am

^ I asked this question in reply 14, but no direct answer, until now.... I've uploaded about 5 default images.

So the outcome, unless remedied by the developer, is simply a rejection? Isn't that a bit harsh? Or did you mean a deletion when they reach screening? If it is indeed a rejection, I suppose that will affect the acceptance percentage, yes? Imagine the reaction of the photographers who are uploading these default images, either for medium size or thumbnail, but does not follow the forum or this thread. I wonder what their reaction will be like.

Regards,
Hendra

Newark727

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:34 am

There are images affected by the problem already in the database as well, but those are supposed to be fixable by the re-upload feature or by the script PanAm_DC10 mentioned. Maybe that doesn't cover images in the upload queue?

dlowwa

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:55 am

Quoting henkita217 (Reply 44):
So the outcome, unless remedied by the developer, is simply a rejection?

That is correct.

Isn't that a bit harsh?

What would you suggest instead?

Or did you mean a deletion when they reach screening?

No, only the uploader can delete their images from the queue.

I suppose that will affect the acceptance percentage, yes?

If it came to pass, yes.

Imagine the reaction of the photographers who are uploading these default images, either for medium size or thumbnail, but does not follow the forum or this thread. I wonder what their reaction will be like.

That kind of speculation is not really my thing.

Quoting Newark727 (Reply 45):
There are images affected by the problem already in the database as well, but those are supposed to be fixable by the re-upload feature..Maybe that doesn't cover images in the upload queue?

The re-upload function is practical for small volumes of images, but if every image accepted in a day needed to be re-uploaded, it will simply be overwhelmed, thus it is not a viable option for the thousands of images potentially affected that are currently in the queue.

Rotate

Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:32 am

So I cant upload Pictures. It doesnt Show a Picture at all, even after it is in the queque.
So basically nobody can upload Pictures righ now, is this correct? If so, when is this going to be fixed ?

Rgds

Robin
ABC

JakTrax

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Looks like the site isn't going to get any new images for a while. The way we're all being dictated to about pulling our images 'or else' suggests that it's our loss and our problem. I happen to have been pointed in the direction of the latest developments in this thread, however had that not happened I'd have faced several rejections through no fault of my own. Just about sums things up around here lately huh?

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 46):
That kind of speculation is not really my thing

Now there's a real, "I couldn't give a toss" attitude if ever I sensed one. I apologise if us photographers are somehow inconveniencing the day-to-day running of the site.

I'm quite astonished at the contempt shown to the people who make this site tick.

Karl

dazbo5

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:20 pm

The re-upload function is practical for small volumes of images, but if every image accepted in a day needed to be re-uploaded, it will simply be overwhelmed, thus it is not a viable option for the thousands of images potentially affected that are currently in the queue.
What would you suggest instead?

If that is the case Dana, until the site problems have been corrected, why not disable uploads until the problem is resolved?

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 43):
will be rejected if and when they reach screening.

As above, there is little point in accepting uploads at the moment if this is going to be the case. Uploaders are wasting their time and efforts, and so is the screening team in trailing through photos simply to reject them for an uploading problem. While Micks comment suggest its ony effecting a small proportion of photos, my experience is I'm having difficultly trying to upload anything at the moment without the default image showing and how can we have confidant that there are no issues with those we are managing to upload?

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX