canyonblue17
Topic Author

Spotting At HNL

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:22 pm

I will be in HNL really soon and wanted to know the ins and outs of spotting in paradise. I prefer shooting landings, and wanted to know specific locations that are OK to hangout in. I am an airline employee and never go anywhere without the badge, but I prefer not sticking my nose (or lens) where it doesn't belong. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy hanging out on a street corner or parking lot, as long as the Hawaii 5 - 0 won't be coming after me.

Also, having checked out the map, it appears you need access to Hickam AFB to shoot landings from the West. Is this possible and if so how? Thanks in advance for all the help.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

drewbelmore

RE: Spotting At HNL

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:21 am

Well, There are two locations on the southeast side of HNL, on Lagoon Drive, where spotting is possible. The first is at the extreme south end of Lagoon Drive, in the General Aviation parking lot. This location is excellent for watching traffic depart from the Runway 8R, “the Reef Runway”, and arrivals to both Runways 4L & 4R, during tradewind weather (which is 90-95% of the time). There is a fence to contend with, and standing on one’s car is way to overcome that.

The second location, a parking lot on Palekona Street, is a good location to watch Runway 22L departures, or Runway 4R arrivals.

The length of Lagoon Drive past Aolele Street is a No Parking Zone, none of side streets, except Palekona Street and Kalewa Street have public parking.

It's not advised to do any spotting along Elliott Street as well, since the area is a No Parking Zone.

Please do not encroach on any private property to do any spotting, unless you obtain permission.