ckw
Topic Author

A Doh! Moment

Thu May 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Just looking at some pics from a recent shoot, and was disturbed to discover that a surprising number were a little out of focus.

Further checking revealed that they were all with the same lens - but shots with other lenses were fine. Damn, problem with the lens ... which was working fine last time I used it.

Then I thought maybe it needs re-calibrating with micro-focus adjustment. That's when I discovered my previously stored adjustments had disappeared (the lens in question required -10).

The explanation was simple - I'd had the body serviced, and clearly Canon had reset everything to factory defaults. Now while I picked up on the obvious often used settings, I'd completely forgot about the micro adjust - its not like you use it everyday.

Anyway, just a heads up which may save someone else some head scratching!

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

hrtsfldhomeboy

RE: A Doh! Moment

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:17 pm

How does one make micro-focus adjustments to their lens?

petertenthije

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:38 pm

To take the Canon 7D as an example:

1) open the menu and go to C.Fn III: Autofocus / Drive
2) Select option 5 AF Microadjustment
3) Select desired option (disable / adjust all by same amount / adjust by lense)
4) Select INFO to change the settings for the specific lense attached to your body.
5) Change the calibration, shoot a photo (preferrably of a calibration chart), check result.
6) Repeat step five until you're happy with the photos you get.

This should be done for every lense.

The first time I had this done by a professional, but since then I have done it myself. It's really simple and the results can be amazin.
Attamottamotta!

ckw
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:09 am

Quoting hrtsfldhomeboy (Reply 1):

How does one make micro-focus adjustments to their lens?

Peter gives a good explanation but do note that not all cameras support micro adjustment.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel