henkita217
Topic Author

New Desktop Monitor Rqd.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:14 am

Hi all,

Just came back from a family holiday in Indonesia.
Wanting to move photos to the external HDD, only to find out that my monitor is not turning on.
After checking out all the basics, I now have to consider the purchase of a brand new monitor.

My current monitor is CHIMEI CMV221D 22" inch with full res at 1680x1050 / pixel pitch at 0.282mm.

What should I be looking for when purchasing a new monitor? As I am an active contributor to Anet database, I'd like a monitor where I can be comfortable in post processing photos without the need for a calibration etc - never had to do it with the current monitor.

I'm most likely going to be working on a budget, at no more than $150-$200AUD max.

Anyway, appreciate your tips and advises.

Regards,
Hendra

eksath
Crew

RE: New Desktop Monitor Rqd.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:59 am

Good question. I am also curious what monitor screeners use? I know a while back there was a standardization attempt. Is that still in place? I know my pictures look different and with the proliferation of different monitor technologies, the divergence seems to be only increasing!
World Wide Aerospace Photography

ckw

RE: New Desktop Monitor Rqd.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:23 am

Quoting henkita217 (Thread starter):
I'd like a monitor where I can be comfortable in post processing photos without the need for a calibration etc - never had to do it with the current monitor.

You make it sound that calibration is a bad thing. Actually this is something you should want if you want to achieve accurate and consistent colour. ALL monitors need calibrating, and this calibration needs to be repeated regularly. You will think everything looks fine because the eye is very accommodating ... consider how well the eye can compensate and adjust for daylight and tungsten.

As far as I'm aware, the screeners use calibrated monitors, so the only way you can be sure they are seeing the same colours, and perhaps more importantly, blacks and whites as you is to calibrate your monitor.

If you want to spend the money, then you can get monitors with calibration built in - but last time I looked these were pretty pricey.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel