henkita217
Topic Author

Significant Reduction In File Size.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:05 am

Hi all,

Never noticed of this occurrence until I just uploaded a photo, which I have a little concern about to begin with (quality wise).

So after uploading the photo into the queue, I checked the file size.. it is telling the file size is 376.71kb, whereas, the original jpeg in my HDD is 938kb.

In my case, my paranoia with the photo quality, plus the significant file size reduction (compression), might go against me even more.

Does anyone can confirm, if the file size reduction, is a normal process once the photo has been uploaded, or is it just me?

Regards,
Hendra

vikkyvik

RE: Significant Reduction In File Size.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:40 pm

Quoting henkita217 (Thread starter):
Does anyone can confirm, if the file size reduction, is a normal process once the photo has been uploaded, or is it just me?

I believe it's normal. The images do get compressed just a bit when uploaded. Don't think it takes much compression to reduce the file size a fair amount.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

dendrobatid

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:43 pm

There has always been some compression but I noticed what seemed to be an increase way back in March and I have just checked a couple of my recently uploaded images which have reduced from 780 to 385k and 636 to 244k (a lot of sky in the latter).

That seems to be more than a little compression. I would actually prefer that the compression was added AFTER screening but did ascertain that it occurs on upload rather than acceptance.

Mick Bajcar

vikkyvik

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:05 pm

Quoting dendrobatid (Reply 2):
I would actually prefer that the compression was added AFTER screening but did ascertain that it occurs on upload rather than acceptance.

It would absolutely be better if it happened after screening.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".