AlexC
Topic Author

My Own Problems With Sharpness

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:44 am

Following on from Brice Johnson's query, I'm also having a problem with my camera, namely a Nikon D300s in that I'm getting a lot less in-focus images then I did with my trusty D200. These are ground to air shots and taxiing shots in good light mainly using an 80-200mm AFS Nikkor. Would anybody still using a D300 or D300s care to share with me what settings they are using in these circumstances? That's which autofocus area mode to use (I've been using dynamic-area AF when perhaps single point would be more successful?), and any appropriate custom settings etc. Thanking y'all in advance!  

scbriml

RE: My Own Problems With Sharpness

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:17 am

Quoting AlexC (Thread starter):
Would anybody still using a D300 or D300s care to share with me what settings they are using in these circumstances?

I don't have a D300, but I use Nikon.

Are you shooting in AF-C or AF-S mode? I generally find the only time I have focus issues is if I've inadvertantly left the camera in AF-S mode and I don't hear the focus beep when I'm tracking a moving plane. I typically use AF-C most of the time and only revert to AF-S when shooting in a museum or static planes.

Most of the time I use single-point AF. Dynamic area is useful if you're chasing a small, fast plane across the sky with a big lens (e.g. at an air show), otherwise you know exactly what you're focusing with single-point AF.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

AlexC
Topic Author

RE: My Own Problems With Sharpness

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm using AF-C. I think you're right, single-point AF is probably best for the reasons you gave. I'll give that a try. Thanks.