LHRAirport
Topic Author

Aviation Photography...where Will It Take You?

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Airliners.net Gary Claridge-King guest writes for Heathrow Airport on what's behind the aviation photography pursuit http://your.heathrow.com/dossier/avi...hotography-where-will-it-take-you/ .

TC957

RE: Aviation Photography...where Will It Take You?

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:34 pm

Well, I hope they come up something, perhaps a good viewing deck inside the new T2 ?

LHRAirport
Topic Author

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:40 pm

TC957 - We're talking about something a bit sooner then when T2 finishes, but we can't reveal all yet.

TC957

Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Oh you tease !!
I hope someone - you perhaps - have been to airports in Germany, Japan, HKG, AMS, ZRH etc that all have excellent aircraft viewing facilities for the public, departing passengers and enthusiasts alike, and learned from them.
There was a rumour doing the rounds last year that the old LHR control tower might be converted to an aircraft viewing facility, shame that never came about.
Anyway, look forward to learning more soon.
And on behalf of all worldwide aviation fans, thank you for what you are doing.

LHRAirport
Topic Author

Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:13 pm

We recognise we need to do it better, there are some great airport viewing facilities around the world. We'll reveal more soon, plus we're working on some other ideas for next summer.

Lexy

Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:24 am

Quoting LHRAirport (Reply 4):
We recognise we need to do it better, there are some great airport viewing facilities around the world. We'll reveal more soon, plus we're working on some other ideas for next summer.

I think I speak for all aviation photographers when I say "Thank You" for what you're doing to make it better for photographers, fans, enthusiast, etc. My hat is off to you all for your work and determination. I hope to make it to LHR at some point to do some photography.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

Garyck
Crew

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:05 am

It will be great to see what you have planned, Thanks Heathrow for inviting me to write an article for you.

To all fellow photographers and spotters, Heathrow are working hard with the Aviation community to make it a more appealing place to go. Some of us were Guests of Heathrow a few months ago. They laid on a great Buffet, a tour of Heathrow Head office, Stand allocation room, The new T2 'Building site' and finally the opportunity to use the press decks on top of Heathrow HQ.

There wasn't just Photographers/Spotters there that day, but the Editor for Airliner World and a deligation from NATS.

http://nats.aero/blog/2013/09/vote-f...your-favourite-plane-spotter-snap/

The future looks great..............These things can not be rushed, but its nice to se Heathrow have our best interests at heart.

Gary
Keep your Ladders close, but your camera closer

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:55 am

Quoting Garyck (Reply 6):

That was a great day. Well planned and very enjoyable. I look forward to working with the airport in the near future to aid the requests of the spotters and the needs of the airport.

McG1967

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:24 pm

The idea of a permanent facility at the UK's largest airport is to be applauded.

Hopefully LHR will implement the best ideas from similar facilities elsewhere:

No photographing through thick panes of glass.
Restroom facilities & vending machines.
Descent opening hours. The facilities I visited in Japan were open from 6am to 10pm, allowing for day & night photos.
Not charging exorbitant fees to use the facility.

bmibaby737

Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Quoting McG1967 (Reply 8):
No photographing through thick panes of glass.
Restroom facilities & vending machines.
Descent opening hours. The facilities I visited in Japan were open from 6am to 10pm, allowing for day & night photos.
Not charging exorbitant fees to use the facility.

and hopefully a facility that's facing north, so that the sun is behind you for most of the day - thus appealing further to the photographers!  

RonS

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Excellent job Gary. It was a good read and seemed like a great visit.
All opinions expressed by me are my own opinions & do not represent the opinions in any way of my employers.

Flyingfox27

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:27 am

LHRAirport the man made island near T5 for 09L arriving traffic was a good idea, just have less of those trees on top of a second one if you plan it please, will look forward to it, heres what we like, facing north, on the southside and an area of reasonable iew of ground traffic please.  

LHRAirport
Topic Author

Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:35 pm

All great points, and it's great to hear from you all. We can confirm you'll be facing north during the new opportunity  

Garyck
Crew

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:57 pm

Unblocked and clear line of sight for photography?

Quoting LHRAirport (Reply 12):
All great points, and it's great to hear from you all. We can confirm you'll be facing north during the new opportunity

Gary

LHRAirport
Topic Author

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:53 am

Both of the above, though there will be some glass involved. We're hopeful of being able to reveal all by December 20.

bmibaby737

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:26 am

Quoting LHRAirport (Reply 14):
Both of the above, though there will be some glass involved. We're hopeful of being able to reveal all by December 20.

Sounds great if it's facing north and it's a clear line for photography, but through windows won't be ideal for photographers. Particularly with the weather in the UK, the windows will become dirty quite quickly. Will we at least be able to shoot, say above the windows, or through them through some view holes?

stu1978

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Here's hoping for a bit of elevation with no glass and clear unblocked views

I'm all for security checks etc , rest rooms and a possible food and drink outlet and can be used all year round.

and a if needed a reasonable entrance fee that allows more than one visit on the day.

If the likes of Amsterdam, Any Japanansse Airport , Zurich or Frankfurt ( to which I have all visited ) can offer something for photographers / spotters then I hope our UK number 1 can do something similiar

Regards

Stu

hotplane

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Think I have an idea of where it may be.
?

hotplane

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:33 pm

An announcement due tomorrow.
?

Garyck
Crew

Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:49 pm

mkwiat
Crew

Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:34 pm

Shame the viewing area is airside only. It's the old KLM HoliDeck business lounge, between stands 415 and 417.

KJ

Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:35 pm

So, after all that it is airside for ticketed passengers only.

bmibaby737

Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Well that's naff!!

Hopefully they've got something else up their sleeve...

"This isn’t the only initiative we’ve been working on for all our aviation enthusiasts. We are working on some exciting new things for 2014 including multiple photo competitions, better non-airside venue access and more."

TC957

Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:17 pm

Oh, I didn't realize it's airside only, but that's obvious now coming to think about it.

Could some sort of access be installed that bypasses the departure lounge areas and goes straight to the entrance from landside ?

Garyck
Crew

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:49 am

Quoting bmibaby737 (Reply 22):
Well that's naff!!

Hopefully they've got something else up their sleeve...

"This isn%u2019t the only initiative we%u2019ve been working on for all our aviation enthusiasts. We are working on some exciting new things for 2014 including multiple photo competitions, better non-airside venue access and more."

Sorry you think its Naff. Its a huge step forward, There hasn't been anything for the photographer at Heathrow for a long time. Heathrow are working with a group of enthusiasts to help make things better. Decisions are not made over night, but as mentioned there will be multiple photo competions..........The winner of the last one got several hours airside.

Be patient and wait to see what happens

KJ

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:47 pm

Don't agree that it's a huge step forward, just a step. It makes little difference to the vast majority of photographers who visit LHR, only a tiny minority who just happen to fly via T4.

If LHR really mean it when they say they want to do it better than, say Frankfurt or Narita, then a small glass lounge for ticketed passengers only was always going to feel like a let down after the raised hopes at the start of this thread.

I eagerly await further announcements and hope they can include a location that can be accessed by casual observers and photographers at some point. However, given how the airport is expanding I very much doubt it is possible now given the high security levels and costs involved in providing such a facility. A real shame, as I always remember fondly how the Queens Building terraces were extremely popular with both enthusiasts and people meeting or seeing off friends and relatives.

I hope to be proved wrong, I really do!