kann123air
Topic Author

PHL Spotting Questions

Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Around December 26th, my uncle and I plan to go spotting at PHL. I've researched some areas, and I found out about a place called "Fort Mifflin". How good is that place? Are there any other good locations?

Thanks!
Now more than ever, moving forward with the new American.

Moose135

RE: PHL Spotting Questions

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:07 pm

I don't know about spotting from Fort Mifflin itself, but the road that runs right past there - called both Fort Mifflin Road and Hog Island Road on Google Maps, is a well known spotting location for PHL. I've shot there a couple of times, and have friends who frequent the location. Just be sure to park on the side of the road away from the airport fence - PD are normally fine with spotters, as long as they don't park on the fence side of the road.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

kiffy
Crew

Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:05 am

Here's a good thread about PHL spotting:

PHL Spotting? (by Nicoya505 Aug 3 2011 in Aviation Photography)

The last reply is about Fort Mifflin.

megatop412

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:56 pm

I never go to Fort Mifflin for spotting, planes pretty much go right over you. Hog Island Rd is a better option, but like Moose said stick to the non-fence side of the road.

kann123air
Topic Author

Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:42 am

Thanks for all the replies! I'll just stick to the non-fenced side of Hog Island Road.
Is there any specific time that is good for spotting? Such as heavy European arrivals?

len90

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:14 am

I attend school about 25 minutes away from PHL. Whenever I have a free day/afternoon and the weather is nice I head over to PHL for some spotting. As others have posted, Hog Island Road is the best location. The airports main runway 9/27 runs parallel to this road so there is no need to think about Fort Mifflin. Lighting is good for most of the day if they are landing 27R. With 9 I find it to be a bit tougher to get the shots though due to the angle, and lighting.

With Hog Island Road stay on the NON-FENCED side of the street and be courteous by parking your vehicle in the grass. When the weather is nice, you will have people jog or bike ride in the shoulder, so leave them a place to go. I personally have not had any issues with the police, but always carry your ID on you.

Some things you might be interested in knowing are that a lot of the US Airways heavies will come in between 12:30 and 2PM along with a daily UPS 763 and MD11. There is a daily LH (flight 426) A343 that is scheduled to land around 4PM along with a BA 772 (flight 67) at 3:10 PM. Usually in the 12:30 to 2PM range you will catch a couple of the 762s, A332s and a A333 from US Airways. Most will be in by 4PM. You will see a lot of US Airways Express E170s and the mainline US Airways E190s, A 319s, 320s, and 321s. PHL also gets some nice business jets, but those tend to land on either on 35 (the cross runway) or 26. In terms of spotting times, I have spotted from as early as 8AM to as late as 3PM. If you want heavies I would say get there for around 12:30 and have fun.

Also be sure to check out this site: www.phlairline.com or like it on facebook. The guy who runs this is there almost everyday.

As for camera equipment: I personally feel that anything over 300 on a crop sensor is going to be too much. You are pretty close to the planes on Hog Island Road.

Hope this helps you out. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!
- Len
Len90

kann123air
Topic Author

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:55 am

Quoting len90 (Reply 5):
With Hog Island Road stay on the NON-FENCED side of the street and be courteous by parking your vehicle in the grass.

That's what I plan to do.

Thanks for the info!

kann123air
Topic Author

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:42 am

What an absolutely stunning location Hog Island Road is. The 27R heavy arrivals that I saw were breathtaking!

len90

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:38 am

kann123air: Glad to hear you really liked it. Hog Island is a special spot and some people really worked hard to allow us the ability to enjoy sitting out on the side of the road to take it in. It's where I go to destress from all the long days and nights of studying. Just a few hours there and I feel like a new person. Hope to see some pictures soon!
Len90

kann123air
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:05 am

Quoting len90 (Reply 8):
kann123air: Glad to hear you really liked it. Hog Island is a special spot and some people really worked hard to allow us the ability to enjoy sitting out on the side of the road to take it in. It's where I go to destress from all the long days and nights of studying. Just a few hours there and I feel like a new person. Hope to see some pictures soon!

Haha, I wish I lived in the PHL area to do the same! The two best shots of the spotting trip are on the photography feedback forum...take a look if you wish!

Thanks again!  

megatop412

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:31 pm

Glad you enjoyed PHL kann123air!