Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JakTrax
Topic Author

Pre-screen (sort of)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi All,

Decided to upload a priority the other day, which got the boot for oversharp, distance and quality.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130333117 ... /lightbox/

Now I'm happy to admit that I'm unfamiliar with the latest criteria, having not uploaded much in the last three years, but I'm struggling to see any real issue here (particularly for a priority upload). I won't re-upload (there's now an almost identical shot in the database) but I would like to discuss the site's latest preferences, if I may?

Firstly, sharpness. I see minor jaggies on the main reg., plus at the bottom of the engine nacelle, but apart from that it looks okay on my screen. As for distance, I've always tried to give the subject 'breathing room' as I hate those super-tight crops - guess the site doesn't agree? Still, I don't think there's a great distance issue personally.

What confuses me most is why there was a quality rejection thrown in there - this was taken with a FF camera (6D) attached to a 70-200 f/4 L IS II, at close range, ISO200 and with IS on. There simply can't be any real quality issues so I'm wondering what the screener was alluding to?

Cheers,
Karl

jelpee

Re: Pre-screen (sort of)

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi Karl,

I see jaggies on the prop blades, titles, main gear tires...I guess it has jaggies(perhaps minor) in too many places. While not ideal, the Distance issue is passable for me. The image looks a little High in the Frame though.Quality looks fine for me.

Jehan

airkas1

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Looks a little oversharpened in general, but otherwise alright.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Okay, cheers guys, pretty much how I view it - passable except for a few oversharp areas. I must say, however, that I can't see any problematic jaggies on the titles or tyres (perhaps nothing more than I'd expect for an image of this size), but now you mention it I can see some on one of the prop blades.

I am using the same sharpening routine I did 10 years ago (for A.net at least), so likely am not taking into account the better clarity of my newer lenses. I have to admit that I rarely check the sharpening to a degree where I'd ordinarily notice jaggies such as those identified on the prop blade - I give it a brief once-over and that's about it.

Psych

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:48 am

Hello Karl.

You may have put your finger on an important issue - old sharpening technique for higher quality originals.

One of the the key things I have noticed since I transitioned to a full frame camera is that (with a high quality lens) the original images are sharper straight out of the camera - even with in-camera parameters set to zero. For example, if I edit some aviation shots with no reduction in size they sometimes require no sharpening in the edit at all. So it may be you need to dial down those sharpening amounts, or be more on the lookout for elements of oversharpening when previously that would not have occurred with a crop sensor.

Cheers.

Paul

airkas1

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:36 am

I've had the same experiences as Paul mentions above.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:30 am

Yes, I have noticed that the latest crop of (certainly Canon L) lenses better resolve DSLR sensors, both FOVCF and FF - something I really failed to take into account as I was so set in just the one workflow. I'll pay more attention to detail if I upload here again.

Cheers,
Karl