vikkyvik
Topic Author

Pre/Post-Screening (vikkyvik)

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:43 am

I was going to add to my previous thread, but it got archived within the last couple of days.

3 for pre-screening that are already in the queue:

1.) http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...2187947.6181img_5942cs57-31-11.jpg
2.) http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...8253.0332img_5894cs57-31-11wm2.jpg
3.) http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...2190264.3443img_5940cs57-31-11.jpg

Here's one with a questionable motive. Was just chance - I was out of position for this 777 arrival (how I managed to miss 200 tons of hurtling metal I cannot explain), and all I could do was kneel down and shoot between the trees. I kind of like how it came out, but would completely understand a bad motive:

4.) http://vksp.smugmug.com/Airplanes/LA...jM2/2/XL/IMG5127CS5-7-10-11-XL.jpg

And finally, this one was rejected for SOFT (was originally rejected for DARK, 2nd time for SOFT). I'm having trouble seeing where, so help would be appreciated:

5.) http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...5.0637img_5137cs57-10-11darkwm.jpg

Thank you all as always.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

dlowwa

RE: Pre/Post-Screening (vikkyvik)

Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:53 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Thread starter):
3 for pre-screening that are already in the queue:

First two should be ok, thought the second is a bit blurry toward the bottom. Third is borderline motive, and there's a speck above the middle CRJ you might want to take care of.

Here's one with a questionable motive.

Give it a slightly tighter crop and it might work.

And finally, this one was rejected for SOFT

Not that bad, just hit a couple of spots (gear, wingtips, and top of tail) with some light sharpening, and you should be fine.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:31 am

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 1):
First two should be ok, thought the second is a bit blurry toward the bottom.

Yeah, I saw that blurriness on the 2nd one, but thought it still might work as the subject (the airport) doesn't appear blurry to me. It was at a pretty low angle out the window which I'm sure didn't help.

Third is borderline motive, and there's a speck above the middle CRJ you might want to take care of.

Interesting - I didn't expect motive with that one. Any particular reason?

Give it a slightly tighter crop and it might work.
Not that bad, just hit a couple of spots (gear, wingtips, and top of tail) with some light sharpening, and you should be fine.

Cool, thanks much as always.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:27 am

I have another couple questions, specifically regarding doubles.

1.) I shot this shot of an A380 at SFO (currently in the queue):

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...2344384.6646img_5930cs57-31-11.jpg

I also shot the other side of the same aircraft a couple minutes later (I haven't edited this one yet):

http://www.airliners.net/ufview.file?id=5788&filename=phpUPNsgS.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a double, but just wanted to check.

2.) I have this photo in the database already:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Vik S

And I also have this one that I like:

http://vksp.smugmug.com/Airplanes/LA...shL/2/X2/IMG8629CS5-7-27-11-X2.jpg

Same aircraft, same day, same landing, same question!

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised at a motive rejection for that one, given the power line, but was interested anyway. Stupid power line.

Thanks again.

dlowwa

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:33 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 3):

Not double.

Closer to being double than the other, but should be just enough of the other side to not be.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised at a motive rejection for that one

Annoying, but I don't think enough for motive. Contrast and dark issues, but I'm sure you'll work that out.

flight

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:36 am

Hi Vik

On the Airfrances they will not be considered double- since they show different sides of the aircraft.
I would also watch for quality issues on both shots especially the second one.

The Atlas would be considered a double, even if you have a head on shot.
Had an exact example a while ago. I believe there is a pretty good example on the rejection guide if I am not mistaken.

Steven.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:09 am

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 4):

Not double.

Closer to being double than the other, but should be just enough of the other side to not be.

Gotcha, thanks.

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 4):
Annoying, but I don't think enough for motive. Contrast and dark issues, but I'm sure you'll work that out.

Ah OK, I figured it would be enough for motive.

And yes, I've had quite a bit of experience working out contrast/dark/whatever issues now.   I haven't done much editing to that one yet.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:06 pm

Third is borderline motive, and there's a speck above the middle CRJ you might want to take care of.

So that one was actually rejected for QUALITY due to heat haze. I didn't notice that at first. Question is, do you think it would be worthwhile to try resubmitting at 1024? Here's the photo again:

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...2263588.8855img_5940cs57-31-11.jpg

Couple other questions (none of these have been edited beyond RAW tweaks):

1.) http://vksp.smugmug.com/Airplanes/LA...66_nFJdHG#1392012825_2gxCVcd-X2-LB

Would a crop like that work motive-wise? Just looking for something different.

2.) http://vksp.smugmug.com/Airplanes/LA...85_x544FT#1381602820_tj7Q2n8-X2-LB

Exposure - The airplane is an annoying shade of gray, so even though it had evening sunlight on it, it looks quite dull compared to the sky behind it. I had other photos from the same day/time/light accepted, but could simply be that that colorscheme doesn't work in that light.

3.) http://vksp.smugmug.com/Airplanes/LA...38_ZX7hqS#1391987748_6WPLcnL-X2-LB

Centering - Unfortunately I didn't center the original photo all that well - the airplane was high in the frame. I've cropped up to the limit, but I think it may still be a bit high.

flight

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi Vik,

Well if you want to send it in again, go for 1000, that seems to sometimes help with the heathaze.

On the United, of course you will be fixing the other issues, but in terms of crop it works for me, but lets see what others say. Those gray fuselages are a problem at times. You did pretty well in exposing the shot.. maybe a bit more contrast?
For me the Virgin seems good in terms of centering. You can also try opening the photo in PS and zooming out; and then it will become much easier if the image is centered correctly.

Steven

[Edited 2011-08-09 12:52:27]

[Edited 2011-08-09 12:53:01]

dlowwa

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 7):
Question is, do you think it would be worthwhile to try resubmitting at 1024?

It might be.

Would a crop like that work motive-wise?

Crop is fine, but it's too high. Also very soft and noisy, but I assume you'll take care of that in the edit.

Exposure -

Exposure looks ok, but it's blurry toward the nose.

Centering -

Centering is fine, but it's soft.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Quoting flight (Reply 8):
Quoting dlowwa (Reply 9):

Awesome, thanks for both of your input.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:13 am

Hello again! Couple questions:

1.) http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...2344384.6646img_5930cs57-31-11.jpg

This was rejected for QUALITY, GRAINY, CONTRAST. Contrast is easy, and I can see grain in the shadows, so no worries. My actual question is how is the sharpness?

2.) http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...2358530.6682img_5934cs57-31-11.jpg

Rejected for OVERSHARPENED, COLO(U)R, CONTRAST. Looks like a slight cyan cast to me, and again contrast is easy, though which way wasn't stated (I assume it was too low). Oversharpened is a bit more difficult for me to see - I'd be grateful if someone could help me out on that!

I've also decided to try some slightly different photos than what I've typically taken before, so I'd love some input on the following:

3.) http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...7.2173img_6374cs58-8-11fringed.jpg

4.) http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...13140860.7125img_6400cs58-8-11.jpg

Muchos gracias!

dlowwa

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:53 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 11):
This was rejected for QUALITY, GRAINY, CONTRAST. Contrast is easy, and I can see grain in the shadows, so no worries. My actual question is how is the sharpness?

Sharpness is fine, but I don't think the overall quality is there for this to have much of a chance, especially at 1280.

Rejected for OVERSHARPENED, COLO(U)R, CONTRAST. Looks like a slight cyan cast to me, and again contrast is easy, though which way wasn't stated (I assume it was too low). Oversharpened is a bit more difficult for me to see - I'd be grateful if someone could help me out on that!

Same as above... obviously shot through a window, this has really hurt the quality/color/contrast. Not sure you will be able to fix it, and not sure why you would try at 1280.

I've also decided to try some slightly different photos than what I've typically taken before, so I'd love some input on the following:

First one's definitely a no - soft, dark, centering doesn't add anything to the composition, and you've left a big border at the bottom of the frame. Second one is only soft and a bit off level, but the composition doesn't do anything for me. If you're going to have it distant and off-center, there should be some motivation for it. What were you trying to show here? Not the trees...they're dark and the one center-bottom is cut right at the trunk...not the cars/billboard on the left... too far and, well boring... so what is the goal here?

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:26 am

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 12):
Sharpness is fine, but I don't think the overall quality is there for this to have much of a chance, especially at 1280.
Same as above... obviously shot through a window, this has really hurt the quality/color/contrast. Not sure you will be able to fix it, and not sure why you would try at 1280.

Gotcha. No particular reason for trying at 1280 - just habit I suppose. That, and I'm still not great at telling when a particular photo has the quality necessary for larger than 1024. If I can't spot any major issues, I usually just go by how large the cropped photo is before resizing. Certainly not a perfect system, but it's worked reasonably well.

I did want to know about the sharpness anyway, though, since it's still something with which I struggle sometimes. So your comments are appreciated.  
First one's definitely a no - soft, dark, centering doesn't add anything to the composition, and you've left a big border at the bottom of the frame. Second one is only soft and a bit off level, but the composition doesn't do anything for me. If you're going to have it distant and off-center, there should be some motivation for it. What were you trying to show here? Not the trees...they're dark and the one center-bottom is cut right at the trunk...not the cars/billboard on the left... too far and, well boring... so what is the goal here?

Wow, I totally missed that border at the bottom. Understood about the rest.

On the 2nd one, was just trying to show some of the park - basically what you see when you're standing there. But hey, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Like I said, was just going for something different - I have photos of just the airplane as well, but thought I'd throw those two up there for some feedback first.

Much appreciated as always, Dana.

dlowwa

Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:44 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 13):
On the 2nd one, was just trying to show some of the park - basically what you see when you're standing there. But hey, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Like I said, was just going for something different - I have photos of just the airplane as well

The distance and overall idea is fine, but you need to compose/balance it better - just look at some of Andy's from almost exactly the same spot/angle:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Hunt - AirTeamImages

He's composed them to do what I think you were trying, but the frame has better balance - the tree in the foreground is not cut, and there are other subjects perfectly placed in the frame that balance out the empty space caused by having the aircraft distant. See what I mean?

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:38 am

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 14):

He's composed them to do what I think you were trying, but the frame has better balance - the tree in the foreground is not cut, and there are other subjects perfectly placed in the frame that balance out the empty space caused by having the aircraft distant. See what I mean?

I do indeed - thanks for the examples.

I'll go back and look at the original again. I debated the crop on it for quite awhile (relatively speaking), and to be honest, I wasn't too sure of the result.

Thanks again for the help.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:57 am

Another pre-screening question:

I shot a few shots of this WN. I happen to like the way this one looks as it's just exiting some low clouds:

http://www.airliners.net/ufview.file?id=5788&filename=phpneKdZu.jpeg

Would that work motive/contrast/whatever-wise?

Thanks.

darreno1

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:13 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 16):
Another pre-screening question:

I shot a few shots of this WN. I happen to like the way this one looks as it's just exiting some low clouds:

http://www.airliners.net/ufview.file?id=5788&filename=phpneKdZu.jpeg

Thanks.

Seems a bit over sharpened and the sky is a little grainy esp around the nose.
Nikon D7000 / Nikkor 105mm AF f2.8 / Nikkor 35 f1.8G / Nikkor 50 f1.8D / Nikkor 85mm / Nikkor 300mm f4 AF

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Quoting darreno1 (Reply 17):

Thanks Darren.

I have to admit, I don't see the oversharpened-ness. Any particular areas?

Also, I'd still appreciate any views on the general motive. I'm not really sure how airplanes that are partially obscured by clouds/mist are treated.

Thanks much!

dlowwa

Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 16):
Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 18):
Also, I'd still appreciate any views on the general motive. I'm not really sure how airplanes that are partially obscured by clouds/mist are treated.

Sorry to say, but the clouds would actually kill it. They detract more than they add in this situation.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:51 pm

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 19):

No worries, that's what I thought might be the case. Thanks.

darreno1

Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:04 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 18):
I have to admit, I don't see the oversharpened-ness. Any particular areas?

Around the engine, parts of the wing and pylon on the side that's not obscured by the clouds. It's slight but I can see some jaggies forming. Over sharpness is a bit of a subjective thing so take it as my opinion only.
Nikon D7000 / Nikkor 105mm AF f2.8 / Nikkor 35 f1.8G / Nikkor 50 f1.8D / Nikkor 85mm / Nikkor 300mm f4 AF

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:59 am

Quoting darreno1 (Reply 21):
Around the engine, parts of the wing and pylon on the side that's not obscured by the clouds. It's slight but I can see some jaggies forming. Over sharpness is a bit of a subjective thing so take it as my opinion only.

Gotcha, I see what you're saying. They don't quite look oversharpened to me, but I'm no expert in A.net's sharpness standard.  

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:21 pm

I've had a few soft rejections lately that are puzzling me a bit. To me, the sharpness on these looks pretty equivalent to other recent acceptances of mine, but obviously I'm no expert.  

They were also rejected for low contrast (I think - there was a note on the BA 747 that said "contrast is low" but nothing on the Westjet). I had actually thought the contrast was bordering on too strong on these.

Opinions/advice very much appreciated:

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...3998047.8297img_6594cs58-13-11.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...3997649.4241img_6589cs58-13-11.jpg

Thanks much.

dlowwa

Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Don't look soft, but there does seem to be a little blur, more so on the WS than the BA. The contrast problem would be that it is too low.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:00 pm

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 24):
Don't look soft, but there does seem to be a little blur, more so on the WS than the BA.

OK, that makes bit more sense. The blur would be toward the nose, correct?

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 24):
The contrast problem would be that it is too low.

Interesting! Will have to take another look at that this evening.

Thanks Dana.

dlowwa

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:04 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 25):
The blur would be toward the nose, correct?

I actually notice it more on the fuselage (titles) and toward the tail. If the original is not blurry at all, then it's probably just how you've processed them.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:48 am

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 26):
I actually notice it more on the fuselage (titles) and toward the tail. If the original is not blurry at all, then it's probably just how you've processed them.

Thanks Dana.

Another rejection question - I had asked about another shot from this sequence months ago, but decided I liked this one better:

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...5518.0851img_4887cs58-25-11wm2.jpg

Rejected for DISTANCE and OVEREXPOSED.

1.) Regarding overexposed, I was surprised at that one. Is it referring to the (rather unfortunately distracting) building at the bottom?
2.) Regarding distance, I could crop it a bit closer on either end, but to me it wouldn't appreciably change the look of the photo (actually made it look a bit weird to me, which is why I think I didn't crop it closer). Is it just basically a signal that this motive doesn't work?

Also a few pre-screening questions:

1.) I don't think this has anywhere near the quality for A.net, so I don't really know why I'm posting it except that I like to butt my head against brick walls. Was a neat opportunity, but too much working against me - window, bad light/weather, being rushed, etc.

http://www.airliners.net/ufview.file?id=5788&filename=phpElGMf4.jpeg

2.) I think this might be a motive reject, but may as well ask:

http://www.airliners.net/ufview.file?id=5788&filename=phpkiHQzS.jpeg

5.) Another for motive consideration (link doesn't seem to be working right now, but hopefully it will be soon):

http://www.vksphoto.com/Airplanes/Ai...9dR/1/X2/IMG2933CS5-7-19-11-X2.jpg

Any other comments on the above photos are also welcome. Thanks!

~Vik

dlowwa

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:13 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 27):
Is it just basically a signal that this motive doesn't work?

Yes, the wide crop doesn't work if the KE is blocked as it is. If it were fully visible, it might have been ok.

Also a few pre-screening questions: 1.)

Dark, oversharpened, quality.

2.) I think this might be a motive reject, but may as well ask:

Borderline...maybe without the large empty space (I know, the moon)

5.) Another for motive consideration

The off-centering might work but for the fact the left side is quite soft/blurry.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks again , Dana.

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 28):
Yes, the wide crop doesn't work if the KE is blocked as it is. If it were fully visible, it might have been ok.

Gotcha. Just for my own future benefit, what do you think about the overexposed rejection?

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 28):
Borderline...maybe without the large empty space (I know, the moon)

Heh, and I know, the moon is tiny in the shot. I'll take another look at it at some point and see how I feel.

dlowwa

Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:15 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 29):
what do you think about the overexposed rejection?

Minor problem compared to the motive.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:21 am

Another for pre-screening. Difficult to expose and edit, due to obviously crappy weather. And of course the billboard in the corner doesn't help motive-wise....But I like it, so may as well ask:

http://www.airliners.net/ufview.file?id=5788&filename=phpFOFQtF.jpeg

JakTrax

Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:09 pm

thought the second is a bit blurry toward the bottom

Looks like jet blast from the engine to me - what's the deal on this as it's a natural occurence under the circumstances?

As for the 777 shot between the trees, I feel that the lack of shrubbery bottom left takes something away from it.

Karl

cruce

Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Love the shot vik! I'm not one to comment on quality or the likes, but the shot is great. The billboard in the picture does suck...why couldn't it have been white or something! I thought that maybe you could crop the billboard out and by cropping both sides just outboard of the flaps, but then you would lose the vapor trail on the left side so...

[Edited 2011-09-17 08:38:28]

dlowwa

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 31):
Another for pre-screening. Difficult to expose and edit, due to obviously crappy weather. And of course the billboard in the corner doesn't help motive-wise

Blurry/soft and oversharpened to compensate. Don't think the quality is there unfortunately.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:44 am

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 32):

Looks like jet blast from the engine to me - what's the deal on this as it's a natural occurence under the circumstances?

Actually wasn't jet blast if I remember correctly. I usually sit in front of the engine. I think it was just a low angle through the window.

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 32):

As for the 777 shot between the trees, I feel that the lack of shrubbery bottom left takes something away from it.

Me too! I wish it had been there to "complete" the photo.

However, they are moot points as both photos were accepted over a month ago.  
Quoting dlowwa (Reply 34):

Blurry/soft and oversharpened to compensate. Don't think the quality is there unfortunately.

That figures. Thanks!

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 am

Post-screening question:

Rejected for DISTANCE with a personal saying "too much dead sapce either side of the aircraft, which doesn't show anything. Please recrop ":

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...81img_4559cs57-28-11colorspace.jpg

Reason for crop was that I didn't want to put the aircraft at the very bottom of the frame.

Anyway, here's my resubmission:

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...29img_4559cs57-28-11distancewm.jpg

Thoughts? Personally, I don't like it as much, but that's alright.  

Thanks!

dlowwa

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:40 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 36):
Thoughts?

Better.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:41 am

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 37):
Better.

My roommate told me a quote the other day - "Brevity is the soul of wit."  

Thanks Dana!

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:50 am

One for pre-screening. Was practicing some low-light shots, and I'm not that great at them yet, especially at higher ISO (this one was 800).

I think there was a bit of condensation over the middle of the left wing, which is why part of it looks hazy.

http://www.airliners.net/ufview.file?id=5788&filename=phpRlzRsQ.jpeg

Thanks again.

dlowwa

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 38):
My roommate told me a quote the other day - "Brevity is the soul of wit."

Suits my personality, but I'm also traveling, so need to be economical with my time. Internet connection not always reliable this part of the world.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 39):
One for pre-screening.

Don't see any noise issues, but looks blurry and oversharpened to compensate.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 40):
Suits my personality, but I'm also traveling, so need to be economical with my time. Internet connection not always reliable this part of the world.

No worries, nothing wrong with being concise.

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 40):
Don't see any noise issues, but looks blurry and oversharpened to compensate.

Hmmm, ok, not entirely surprising. I have a heck of a time trying to pan with airplanes from that angle.

Thanks.

RonS

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:36 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 41):
I have a heck of a time trying to pan with airplanes from that angle.

Most all do! It's near impossible.

I agree with Dana. The nose is also and issue, but it could be the weather. Cool shot, maybe best for the personal collection.

[Edited 2011-09-21 18:37:16]
All opinions expressed by me are my own opinions & do not represent the opinions in any way of my employers.

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:28 am

Quoting RonS (Reply 42):
The nose is also and issue, but it could be the weather.

Did you mean "noise" or "nose"?  

I thought that one was actually pretty good, noise-wise, for ISO800 with a 1000D on a cloudy day.

Quoting RonS (Reply 42):
Cool shot, maybe best for the personal collection.

Heh, every shot goes in the personal collection unless I don't like it (I always find the "personal collection" comments kind of funny for some reason - all my shots go in my "personal collection" unless I don't like them...in which case they still go in the collection, but just don't get edited, and instead sit in RAW form on my computer collecting dust and hard drive space).

Anyway, I have some others from the day before that I may post, as I find it very difficult to judge this kind of shot. Here are a couple for starters:

http://www.airliners.net/ufview.file?id=5788&filename=phpU47520.jpeg

http://www.airliners.net/ufview.file?id=5788&filename=php0hPe0r.jpeg

Thanks!

cruce

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:28 am

Great shots vik! What program do you use for noise reduction? I believe you have the same set up as I do (Canon XS with 55-250??) I just got through my free trial of CS5 (man that program is great) and don't have near enough money to buy it, so I'm down to Elements 9. It came with a 30 day trial of Lightroom but I haven't had time to load that yet, but I've heard very good things about it in terms of NR. Just curious, because those shots look miles better than one I took today at ISO 400

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6269520...6170901027/sizes/l/in/photostream/

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:42 am

Quoting cruce (Reply 44):

Thanks! I do have the XS and a 55-250, but my 70-300 IS USM has all but replaced the 55-250. It's a significantly better lens, though I'm sure nowhere near an L lens.

I use Adobe Camera Raw in CS5 for general noise reduction while doing RAW tweaks. It works really well.

Then in my JPEG editing stage, I'll do some selective NR if necessary. I use CS3 for JPEG editing (odd, I know, given that I have CS5....but CS5 runs too slowly on my computer for that stuff), and I generally just use the standard Noise Reduction filter there.

What has helped me tremendously in the last few weeks is a modification to my sharpening procedure. I used to always set the "tolerance" slider to 0. Recently, I've set it to 1. It means I have to do a bit more sharpening, but it cuts down on the noise generated quite significantly.

I like that shot of yours! Yes, it's noisy, but given that you were shooting straight into the sun, which means a dark airplane in front of it, it's pretty cool.

cruce

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:14 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 45):

Thanks Vik. Yeah, I was playing around this morning with different settings just trying to get a feel for the low light stuff and happened to get that one somewhat "sharp" enough. Thanks for the info, I'll have to play around a bit in Elements and see what I can do. I'm not too disappointed in Elements, for something that costs about 10X less than CS5 I can't complain! However, it obviously doesn't do as well. That sharpening thing makes sense, I'll have to see if I can play around with that. It all comes down to playing around with the camera and the programs and finding out what works and what doesn't.

Again, appreciate the info!

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:47 pm

Quoting cruce (Reply 46):
Yeah, I was playing around this morning with different settings just trying to get a feel for the low light stuff

That's what I've been doing. Unfortunately the light has been pretty awful in the evenings.

Quoting cruce (Reply 46):
Thanks for the info, I'll have to play around a bit in Elements and see what I can do. I'm not too disappointed in Elements, for something that costs about 10X less than CS5 I can't complain!

According to RonS, Lightroom 3 has the same noise reduction as Camera Raw for CS5. See this thread (reply 17):

Absolute Beginner: How Much Do I Need To Edit My P (by notaxonrotax Sep 8 2011 in Aviation Photography)

cruce

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:58 am

Thanks for the link Vik. I guess I'll have to load that trial version on my computer to check it out. I've been delaying because its only a 30 day trial, which means I'll load it...I'll love it...I'll have to find another $200 to go buy it.   

vikkyvik
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:49 am

Another for pre-screening. I think quality may not be up to par, as heat haze was pretty bad on that day. This is the best shot of this one I got:

http://www.airliners.net/ufview.file?id=5788&filename=phpDFcaYq.jpeg

Also if anyone has any comments on the other two I posted (in Reply 43), I'd appreciate it!

Thanks as always.