combatshadow
Topic Author

Post-Screening - Dark

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:26 am

I need some input. What do you have to do to get a sunset picture accepted? This one was rejected for soft, which I guess i can see and can fix. But my main concern is that it was rejected for "dark". Why is this considered "dark"? Is there something I should do a bit more in editing it? It's a sunset pic, and I don't want to ruin it.

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...769n945wn_takeoff_klit_1200p_a.jpg
Bob

NZ107

RE: Post-Screening - Dark

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 am

I thought you were meaning more of a silhouette picture. But this is more like a normal picture than that. It just feels a little on the dark side - a touch more brightness won't hurt the image. Try using levels to make the overall image a wee bit brighter - the sky being the shade it is could be slightly brighter. I don't think it'd be ruined by brightening it up a little - with levels, you can always adjust the other sliders to maintain a level of contrast.

I'd also argue that it's a little low in the frame.

Cheers,
Nicholas
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

vikkyvik

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:02 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 1):
It just feels a little on the dark side - a touch more brightness won't hurt the image. Try using levels to make the overall image a wee bit brighter - the sky being the shade it is could be slightly brighter. I don't think it'd be ruined by brightening it up a little - with levels, you can always adjust the other sliders to maintain a level of contrast.

I would agree. Although technically I'd say it's plenty bright (the red channel is maxed over much of the airplane), it does feel slightly dark. I brought the whites slider down to 250 in levels, and that looked about right. I wouldn't do much more.

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 1):
I'd also argue that it's a little low in the frame.

Although I feel a strange compulsion to argue with you on this, I actually agree, though it might be okay for A.net.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

dlowwa

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:42 am

Only slightly dark, and borderline at that. However, as mentioned it is a little low, and there is also some vignetting in the corners.

combatshadow
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:08 am

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback very much. I'll give another go with the levels

I do see that it's a tad low now too, so it does bug me a bit.

And I do see the bit of vignetting as well now, more pronounced in the top right corner.

Thank you all!
Bob