JakTrax
Topic Author

Post-screening - Blurry (Uh?!)

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi folks,

Now I did actually expect someone to pick up on the slight red cast with this one - but instead they picked up on things that are far less obvious (non-existent even).

http://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...1.8345hb-jvc_man_220912_kn_287.jpg

Done for quality, soft and... wait for it.... blurry. Can't see any great softness myself, but then again I have always said I feel images here are way too sharp. But blurry? I've checked the original and it's tack-sharp, so are we seeing things again? Comment read, "Blurry around wing-root area".

My question is, how exactly does an image go from being sharp to being blurry upon resizing? There are three reasons why an image would be blurry:

1) insufficient DOF. Erm, no. It was taken at f/8. Plus the front and rear of the aircraft are fine.
2) focus got distracted. Um. No, Every other bit of the plane is sharp so unless it 'stuttered' on a specific part of the image....
3) Camera shake/movement. Not actually blur (let's not go there just now) but another 'no' since the rest of the aircraft is tack-sharp. Additionally, the centre of an image is also the least likely to suffer from this, since it's the most 'stable' part when panning.

I'm more-than-happy to forward the original to anyone who feels the need to further question this one.

Cheers,

Karl

dlowwa

RE: Post-screening - Blurry (Uh?!)

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Don't see blurry, but it is a little soft, and would be better at a smaller size.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:21 pm

Okay, soft I can live with. My concern was where the 'blurry' bit came from. Where are the soft parts specifically? The quality of the original file is fine so with a fix I'm confident I can retain the current size.

Cheers,

Karl

dlowwa

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 2):
Where are the soft parts specifically?

Overall just a little soft, but I can notice it on the titles and tail especially.

sovietjet

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:04 pm

I also see a little soft. At least on my work computer. Maybe add one layer of sharpening and erase any jaggies that would form around the wings/titles.

JakTrax
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeah, I've selectively sharpened some bits and stuck it back in the queue. The issue for me was the 'blurry' part - something that clearly only the screener could see.

This is what is annoying people at the moment - picking faults that just aren't there. It takes the p**s even more when you have the original on-screen in front of you and you're scratching your head in amazement.....

Cheers,

Karl