ClassicLover
Topic Author

Brisbane to Sydney in Business Class on Qantas including video of landing past Sydney Harbour

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:28 am

For the full report with all the pictures, please click here.

When landing in Sydney, the best place to sit is on the left side of the aircraft. If your flight is landing from the south, you fly north along the coast and can see all of the beautiful coastline. When landing from the north, you fly south and you pass all of Sydney. Seeing the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House and the city is pretty spectacular.

Happily on a recent flight from Brisbane to Sydney the pilot let us know we were landing from the north which meant I was able to get a 4 minute video of the final approach and landing, including all the sights.

The afternoon began in the Brisbane Qantas Business Lounge which is for business class passengers and oneworld Emerald Frequent Flyers only. All other passengers with status have to use the standard Qantas Club instead. My Dad, who had never flown business class before, stuck his head in the Qantas Club as we left and agreed the business lounge offering is much better! They have what they call a cantina which has food to order and I had the Tacos while waiting for my flight. Very delicious!

Soon enough it was time to fly.

QF537 – Brisbane to Sydney (BNE-SYD)
1 September 2017
Boeing 737-838 – VH-XZN – “Wagga Wagga”
Seat: Business Class 1A
Departure: 15:05 Arrival: 16:40

Once on the aircraft, the cabin crew offer business class passengers water or juice. As I had two glasses of Champagne in the lounge, I thought water would be prudent. Mood lighting in the Boeing Sky Interior equipped Boeing 737s at Qantas is really quite nice. Being a newer aircraft, entertainment is offered on individual seat back screens.

Before we get to the scenic landing, it is worth noting that outside of meal times Qantas flights are designated as offering a refreshment. In business class, there is a choice of hot or cold option and I chose the hot Turkish Pide.

This meal is quite delicious and I rather enjoyed it. Finishing it off with chocolate rounded it off nicely. The sparkling wine on Qantas is Grant Burge which is pretty bad. I really don’t like it at all, but since there are no other bubbles to choose from I have to drink it.

Drinking and making sure you’re keeping hydrated means a visit to the facilities is in order. The forward toilet on the Boeing 737 is quite compact and functional.

Toilets feature a vacuum flush and there is a hand basin for washing up afterwards. Paper hand towels are available for drying your hands which is quite necessary.

The flight deck announced we would be landing from the north. As we descended it struck me that we were going to get some seriously scenic views, so I took a video of the last 3 minutes of the flight.

Click here for the YouTube video.

As the video progresses you will see Chatswood, North Sydney and Sydney Harbour with the bridge and the Opera House. Next is Darling Harbour and then all the suburbs right through to landing at Sydney Airport. It is very scenic indeed!

After a nice flight in business class, having a scenic landing is the cherry on top. I love seeing the familiar sights of Sydney passing by the window as I sit and relax in the aircraft.

While Sydney’s landing doesn’t make the world’s best list like Donegal, I think it’s pretty damned special in its own way. Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below. Remember. for the full report with all the pictures, please click here.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

VapourTrails

Re: Brisbane to Sydney in Business Class on Qantas including video of landing past Sydney Harbour

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:37 am

Thanks. I've yet to fly Business Class on a 738, but I did fly on this very aircraft quite recently, back in Row 19.

Don't think one can ever get tired or bored flying into SYD. :cloudnine: Either side view is pretty good, the coastline, or the city.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Re: Brisbane to Sydney in Business Class on Qantas including video of landing past Sydney Harbour

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:46 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
Thanks. I've yet to fly Business Class on a 738, but I did fly on this very aircraft quite recently, back in Row 19.

Don't think one can ever get tired or bored flying into SYD. :cloudnine: Either side view is pretty good, the coastline, or the city.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

I'm definitely more of a fan of the coastline rather than the city, but I agree, the views are pretty sweet either way.

You really notice when landing how clean the air is in Australia compared to some places overseas.

It never gets old :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!