ClassicLover
Topic Author

Flying Qantas across the Tasman SYD-AKL in International Economy Class

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:31 pm

For all the other pictures not included below, please click here.

It always seems strange to me that Qantas operate Boeing 737s across the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand. By comparison, Air New Zealand has 777s, Emirates uses A380s and LATAM uses the 787. All of these have true international business class and economy class products.

Qantas 737s use the exact same seats as their domestic fleet, so I find it strange. Emirates recently stopped flying the A380 from Sydney to Auckland so Qantas is now using some of the international A330s with their Business Suite on the route which is a far better experience. Still, it is only a 3 hour flight so I can't complain.

For this flight I used some BA Avios to book an Economy Class seat on a breakfast flight, so let's have a look.

QF141 – Sydney to Auckland (SYD-AKL)
11 September 2017
Boeing 737-838 – VH-XZE – “Pine Creek”
Seat: Economy Class 4A
Departure: 07:10 Arrival: 12:20

Before flight I selected seat 4A. These seats are reserved for Qantas Platinum or oneworld Emerald frequent flyers. Once I dropped back to oneworld Sapphire, my seat selection remained the same which I am pleased about.

Check in took a little while as I am doing five flights on three separate tickets. Through check is permitted in this instance as some flights were award tickets. Boarding is schedule for 06:25 and it started closer to 06:40.

The reason seats in row 4 are held for high level frequent flyers is due to the location. They are directly behind Business Class and feature much more leg room than the standard seats.

Window seats are best as the seat supports and entertainment boxes restrict room a little for the other passengers. Boarding is completed swiftly enough as this is a Boeing 737 and then it’s time for the safety demonstration and off into the air.

Once in the air, landing cards for New Zealand are distributed to those who need them. At 07:54 Sydney time the crew arrived and offered two choices for breakfast. These are scrambled eggs and bacon or yoghurt and muesli. I chose the hot option.

Qantas serve the meals in a box and with plastic cutlery which presumably saves on costs. I think they could stretch to real metal cutlery in Economy Class. The plastic comes across as pretty cheap though the utensils are quite sturdy.

I am happy to report the breakfast is delicious. Everything is cooked quite well and the tomato based sauce really complimented the other items.

The person beside me chose the yoghurt and muesli which is a pot of each in the box. It looked perfectly fine as well. The crew offered drinks and I selected water. Boxes were collected at 08:30 and the crew did a water run about 10 minutes later.

Personal televisions are available for all passengers and there is a great selection of movies on offer. On this flight I decided to watch Alien Covenant.

The headphones are not noise cancelling which meant I could not hear some parts of the movie. A minor irritation and pretty standard as Economy Class never gets the better quality headphones.

Flying with Qantas in Economy Class is perfectly fine. The cabin crew are not as friendly as when you fly in Business Class, giving only perfunctory politeness. This is due to the fact there are many more people to get through serving on a short enough flight.

Entertainment and food are both very good indeed with the former having quite a large selection of new release movies. Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below. Remember, for all the other pictures not included below, please click here.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

smi0006

Re: Flying Qantas across the Tasman SYD-AKL in International Economy Class

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:22 am

Thank you for sharing! Interesting to note the meal boxes for an international service- I thought they were confined to domestic only. However I suppose they are competing with hybrid NZ/VA who offer a unbundled product so this is a good in between.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:50 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Thank you for sharing! Interesting to note the meal boxes for an international service- I thought they were confined to domestic only. However I suppose they are competing with hybrid NZ/VA who offer a unbundled product so this is a good in between.

You're right, I was surprised seeing the boxes on an international flight. The food quality was very good though.

I guess with the boxes, they are able to recycle and have less waste. I'm not entirely sure how they do it considering there must be some food waste in there among the rubbish too. Hopefully it's not just all incinerated.

Since I've now taken Qantas and LATAM between Auckland and Sydney, I guess next time I will have to try Virgin or Air New Zealand to mix it up a bit.

Glad you enjoyed the report!

zkncj

Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:30 am

smi0006 wrote:

I guess when NZ likes to charge an extra $25 for an meal, QF really doesn't have to try too hard with there Tasman meal service. It's not uncommon to see 60-80% of the passengers on NZ have opted to not purchase an fare with includes an meal.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:54 pm

zkncj wrote:
I guess when NZ likes to charge an extra $25 for an meal, QF really doesn't have to try too hard with there Tasman meal service. It's not uncommon to see 60-80% of the passengers on NZ have opted to not purchase an fare with includes an meal.

That's interesting, I didn't know NZ charged extra for meals in economy class. I guess for a 3 hour flight it's not too big a deal when it comes down to it. I know I'd pay for it because I like eating on board a flight.