ILoveFigures
Topic Author

Flying Norway's busiest domestic route with SAS

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:46 am

Hello fellow aviation enthusiasts! :-D

One week ago I had the pleasure of flying aboard Scandinavian Airlines from OSL to TRD, which is Norway's busiest domestic route and in 2016 the 5th busiest route in Europe serving almost 2 million passengers. The route is flown by SAS, Norwegian and Widerøe.

LN-RRL, a Boeing 737-883, would be serving flight SK344, with a flight time of roughly 40 minutes.

More pictures and video footage can be found in the YouTube link, which includes the safety demonstration, take-off, climb, inflight services, approach and landing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=faZcIDcnzZ4

I arrived at OSL well in advance, because I wanted to do some plane spotting. It is easy to get from downtown Oslo to OSL, with Flytoget (express train) leaving Oslo Central Station every 10 minutes with a travel time of 19 minutes. Buses also connect the rest of Eastern Norway with frequent connections.

Check-in with SAS on domestic flights is very efficient, and everything is self-check-in if you want to. There are rarely any queues for the self-service baggage drop-off. Security was a little slow that day, as they are in lack of staff these days. However, I didn't spend more than 10 minutes from entering to exiting the area.

With the opening of the new terminal and pier, OSL feels a lot less crowded. It has also meant that the variety of cafés, kiosks and restaurants has increased. I went over to the new pier to do some plane spotting as there you can watch the tarmacs of both the domestic area of the airport as well as the international area. Lots of great plane spotting to do.

Boarding commenced and it was very efficient. The flight would be more or less full. There was a slight delay because the aircraft had to be refueled, but the delay was not much. We taxied fast towards runway 01L, and we had barely entered it before the engines started roaring. Takeoff was very smooth, until with hit a bump on the first left turn. There were some more bumps when flying through the clouds, but nothing major.

Overall, the short flight north towards Trondheim, Norway's 3rd largest city, was very smooth. The cabin crew were quick on their feet and started their inflight service. You only get coffee and tea for free, the rest is BOB. The items available are written on a menu card located in the seat-pocket. I opted for coffee, which tasted very good this time around.

The crew had barely finished before we started the approach to TRD, and this was when the clouds disappeared below us, exposing the wonderful scenery that is Norwegian nature.

The approach was quite bumpy, and it was hard to keep the camera steady. TRD is known for strong winds, as is most of Norway's airports along the coast. The landing was however quite smooth considering the bumpy approach, and we taxied quickly over to the terminal.

TRD is not a very big airport, so baggage claim was quite efficient. Buses leave for downtown Trondheim every 10-20 minutes. It is roughly a 35-40 minutes ride to the city.

Overall, it was a very nice flight with SAS. They provide a reliable service, and they are fairly consistent. :)