Robisintheair
Topic Author

The best Business Class within Europe!?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Latam Airlines has a 5th freedom flight between Frankfurt and Madrid. A Boeing 787-9 flies daily between both cities and further to Santiago de Chile. On this route you can profit by excellent Business Class fares and of course a long haul Configuration. Earlier this year, there was an amazing opportunity to extend this flight until Tenerife for the same price. So, a new holiday trip was born, with a stopover in Madrid.

:arrow: Link to the picts: https://goo.gl/PfL1h2

Start in Frankfurt

After a long journey from Munich to Frankfurt with a rental, we reached the airport two hours before departure. After a fast and smooth check-in and security check, we headed to the Air Canada Lounge. Time for a drink :) . This place is one of my favorite Lounges in Frankfurt. I really like the apron view, the unique Air Canada design and the good food quality.

Boarding to Madrid

After some good time in the Lounge, we headed to the Gate. An agent recognizes that we are traveling with our little one and moved us in front of the desk, before the other waiting passengers. We are allowed to board the plane as the very first persons und could stow our Buggy in the overhead bins. The flight attendants was impressed how small it can be. Last step was to fix the child seat on the business class seat. After all, we recived a coloring book as a gift. Before pushing back the plane, every business class passenger was served with some nuts and a glass of champagne, water or OJ. With a small delay, we taxied to the Runway west.

* Plane: Boeing 787-9
* Firstflight: 21.07.2017
* Regis.: CC-BGN
* Seat: 4C

Boarding to Madrid

As we reached cruising altitude, the flight attendants served the passengers with a hot towel. For dinner Latam served a chicken brest salad with an awesome orange pie together with delicious wines of chile. My daughter got some pasta. After dinner we used the time to watch some films and walked through the cabin. This flight was completely full. We reached the airport of Madrid Barajas after a 2,5 hrs flight and continued our journey to the Hilton Madrid Airport, where we stayed for one night.

Iberia Lounge Madrid

After a nice day in Madird we pick up our luggage at the hotel and used th shuttle to the airport. After our daughter has conquered the hearts of IBERIA employees with her Jetkids suitcase, we are on our way to the Sala VIP Dali Lounge. Thanks to Fastlane, the security check is also quite fast.
The space is plentiful and available for every need. There are single seats, a relaxation area, desks and places for families. We are looking at the back of the lounge for a small seating area with table. There is no buffet, but there are well stocked refrigerated counters. These include various delicious salads, yoghurts, gazpachos and small tapas. A small selection of Spanish red wines at a wine bar. Here you can spend your time.

Iberia Express to Tenerife

Around 8 pm we make our way to the gate. Our plane parks on the apron and is waiting for us to fly to Tenerife in about three hours. We almost scan our tickets as the last passengers, because we prefer to use the time, so that our daughter can spend time at the neighboring playground. With the bus we drive to our plane. The Business Class is completely full.

* Airplane: Airbus A320-214
* First Flight: 22.02.2001
* Regis.: EC-MEG
* Seat: 2D

We lift off on time. The hope that my little frequent flyer girl falls asleep during take-off this time has burst like a bubble when the light in the cabin was turned on. But the three hours passed faster than initially thought. As a welcome drink, there is a freshly squeezed orange juice. Incidentally, it was also mentioned that unfortunately today the oven is broken down and no hot food can be served, oh man great!
But we can choose freely from the "great" menu (buy on board) of the economy. Unfortunately, the salad that my wife choosed, was already gone. I selected a few snacks and two baguettes and a beer. The taste wasn’t good so far. The seat pitch is quite narrow, the middle seat is free as usual. There is WiFi on board, which allows you to stream series on a mobile website or view the flight history.
Around 11 pm we touched down the runway of the airport Tenerife Norte. straight at the baggage carousel, we pick up the keys for our rental car, which is very convenient. For that the luggage needs half an eternity. From the airport we drive for about half an hour until we reach our accommodation in Icod del los Vinos.

Bottom Line

Of course, flying in front of the curtain is always nice, but unfortunately Iberia did not shine with fame on the flight to Tenerife. But Latam was again very pleasant and especially when dealing with children has shown how child-friendly the South Americans are.

:arrow: Link to the picts: https://goo.gl/PfL1h2

theobcman

Re: The best Business Class within Europe!?

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Have done & reported on the LA 789 MAD>FRA couple of times and yes agreed it is a very enjoyable couple of hours !

Robisintheair
Topic Author

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:13 pm

theobcman wrote:
Have done & reported on the LA 789 MAD>FRA couple of times and yes agreed it is a very enjoyable couple of hours !

I tried it two years ago on a Boeing 787-8 and now on a 787-9 together with an Iberia connection flight. It is a great value and the time was right to make status match from airberlin Topbonus to Latam Pass

ClassicLover

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:37 pm

LATAM are great, I've flown them in Business Class between Auckland and Sydney several times. Friendly crew, great food, comfortable seats - no complaints at all.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Robisintheair
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:12 am

ClassicLover wrote:
LATAM are great, I've flown them in Business Class between Auckland and Sydney several times. Friendly crew, great food, comfortable seats - no complaints at all.

Oh, this is also a nice routing :-) I was really surprised, how friendly they are to our daughter. After Landing in Frankfurt we could visited the cockpit and the captain moved from his seat and gave my daughter his hat.