ClassicLover
Topic Author

Heading home to Dublin on my last flight of the year - BA LHR-DUB in Club Europe

Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:22 am

For all the pictures that go with this report, please click here.

I think the route between London and Dublin is usually the one I fly the most in any given year. Sometimes I'll fly it in EuroTraveller, sometimes I'll fly Aer Lingus and sometimes I'll fly in Club Europe. For the last flight of the year, I decided to fly in Club Europe with British Airways.

While everyone complains about European business class being just the middle seat free (with a nice tray table in the middle seat in the case of BA), one thing is does allow for is a lot of business class passengers. Our flight had 9 rows of Club Europe which is a total of 36 seats. Ka-ching!

Even with this many passengers on a flight with a flight time of just over 50 minutes, everyone was served. Let's have a look!

BA836 – London Heathrow to Dublin (LHR-DUB)
17 December 2017
Airbus A320-200 – G-EUUE
Seat: Club Europe 3A
Departure: 13:35 Arrival: 15:00

The day started with a visit to the British Airways Galleries Club lounge in Terminal 5. One thing those in the know are aware of is the fact you can get Champagne on request.

Happily I got my favourite seat looking out over the apron which is great. Boarding was from gate A22 which is only a short walk from the lounge. The gate has self-service boarding which is quite convenient.

Once on board, the Captain came on to advise that there would be a short delay while we waited for the last baggage to be loaded. Our 13:35 departure time came and went and we finally pushed back nearly an hour late just before 14:30.

Heathrow was very busy and we had a long taxi to the runway followed by some holding. It turns out that we spent more time on the ground on the final flight than we did in the air. To save time, the crew delivered the hot towels during our wait.

Eventually we took to the air, with a flight time expected to be 50 minutes. With so many passengers to serve, the crew had their work cut out for them, so they started service very quickly. Three cabin crew operated the Club Europe service, two on the food trolley and one with the drinks trolley. They kept pushing the duck option rather than the panini but both were available.

Happily the food was quite nice and I had finished most of my panini before the drinks arrived. The crew member was really friendly and I found out they were stopping in Dublin then operating the first service the next day back to London, then they were off to Keflavik. Food devoured, I sat back and enjoyed the view along with my Champagne. Lots of clouds throughout this flight but there was plenty to see as well.

Once the service was completed, the crew cleared the cabin quite quickly and we descended and landed into Dublin. British Airways use the 200 gates at Dublin which means stairs. Luckily it was not raining so nobody got wet, which is always a good thing. In the end we were just over half an hour late which is not too bad.

For the final flight of the year, it was a pretty good one. Everything with British Airways is generally quite consistent. The food is the same, it tastes fine and there is always plenty of Champagne. Nothing to complain about for a 50 minute flight really, overlooking the delay to the service.

Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below. Remember, for all the pictures that go with this report, please click here.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

jeffrey1970

Re: Heading home to Dublin on my last flight of the year - BA LHR-DUB in Club Europe

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:13 pm

That is nice that they fed you on this flight. In the States we are lucky if they give us a snack on a short flight. Happy Christmas.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

F27500

Re: Heading home to Dublin on my last flight of the year - BA LHR-DUB in Club Europe

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:39 pm

Very nice panini and drink service !

Surprised at the lack of jetbridge ... doesn't DUB have a new terminal ??

FabDiva

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:28 am

F27500 wrote:

Surprised at the lack of jetbridge ... doesn't DUB have a new terminal ??

It does, but BA have been moved on to the regional pier at T1. The newer T2 is now Aer Lingus and US precleared flights with everyone else using T1