zachary165
Topic Author

Two weeks in Italy via AA part 2: Home via Rome

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:52 pm

In a mere two weeks, I had seen so much of Italy. One day I was floating through the canals of Venice, and the next, I was swimming in the Cinque Terre. The entire trip was back to back amazement. Unfortunately, like all good things, this too must come to an end. But before the flight, Here are some pictures from Italy.

Now to the flight portion
I woke up too early for the hotel's breakfast and got ready. We waited for our driver to take us to the airport, which was about a 45 minute drive away. I slept for most of the ride and awoke as we were approaching the airport. We got out, paid the driver, and went to the check in counter for AA

In the meantime, I noticd this sculpture of Da Vinci's famous Vitruvian man
I got my boarding pass and my heart immediately sank. I had the dreaded SSSS on the pass. You can learn more about what that means here
I made it through all of the security they threw at me, and went to a cafe near the gate to have some breakfast. I had a cheese danish with a cappuccino and waited for the aircraft to arrive.
A couple of other aircraft around the terminal

Soon our aircraft arrived from its flight from DFW and parked at the gate.

After a quick turnaround, my boarding group was called and I was about to board. Or so I thought. I had one final "random" bag check done and then I was down the jetway and on to AA flight 239.

Flight details
AA 239
Boeing 777-223ER
N766AN
FCO-DFW
Aircraft Age: 14

I walked down the jetway and into the enormous bird that would be my ride for the next 12 hours

"Gee I hope all of our bags get on this time."

All set up and ready to record... or so I thought. I unfortunately lost the footage from this flight somehow.
I guess you could say that had me feeling a little blue
We pushed back, started up, and began a short taxi to the runway. We took off and thus began the journey home. I decided to sit back, relax and watch the incredibles. I enjoyed my movie with a view of the coastline as we turned north towards mainland Europe again
about 1 hour into the flight, a quick snack service was done. I had a coke with pretzels.
Some time later, meal service began. I chose pasta with some white wine and accompanying side dishes.
The pasta was pretty nice for an economy class meal, and I enjoyed not having the cracker that resembled hardtack that I had on the inbound flight. After the movie ended, I watched a bit of Bob's burgers and waited for Greenland.
As we flew over Greenland, we were greeted by an incredible view made even better by the fact that there was an Air France 777 right next to us.
Soon after Greenland, the cabin crew passed put a cold cut sandwich and ice cream. I asked for and received a second one.
Soon we were over Flying over Canada and had about 5 hours left. The cabin crew used this as their cue to put the lights into sunrise mode with a deep red hue.
I decided to play around with the IFE and found it to be muck more responsive than the screens on the A330. I listened to some music and fell asleep again. I woke up to the smell of the final meal service: a box with a lemon sponge cake and a fajita lattice of sorts. I really didn't care for the lattice thing, but the sponge cake was good.

Nothwest Arkansas Regional airport. A sign that we were almost done.

We soon began our descent and landed in DFW. We parked at terminal D and went directly to US customs, but not without a quick visit to the room up front.
I cleared customs with no problems and then did what any avgeek does in DFW: rode the train.

With an entire circuit done, it was time to head to the gate to go back to STL.

Flight Details:
AA 51
McDonnel Douglas MD-82
N7548A
DFW-STL
Aircraft age: 26.5

After waiting at the gate for the aircraft to arrive and the passengers to get off and those with a higher boarding number to get on, I boarded my flight to STL. We waited at the gate for waht had seemed like an eternity. in actuality it was around 45 minutes. Apparently there was an issue where dispatch gave the crew the wrong performance data and flight plan. (and these people want to run our ATC system) Eventually, we got underway and headed to the runway.

Image[url]

We took off and climbed out with a spectacular view of the city. I soon fell sleep and didnt wake up until we were almost to St. Louis. I was offered a nice view of downtown on approach.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/W9J51H]Image

lining up for landing.

We landed and taxied to our gate. Although I was sad that Italy was over, I was happy to be home in the USA and excited for my next european adventure: Christmastime in Germany. Stay tuned for that report.

Thank you for reading. Comments are always appreciated.
"Keep true to the dreams of thy youth." - Schiller

bgboiflyer

Re: Two weeks in Italy via AA part 2: Home via Rome

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:15 am

Finally someone who took a photo of AA's 77E new Y cabin. Although 2-5-2 was cool and at least 9 abreast the seats and cabin were old and the PTVs. I hope to visit Italy one day and see the famous sights for themselves

FlyingSicilian

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:58 am

The olde SSSS selectee security treatment...nice ;-) Nice pics
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

flyforever

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 am

Thanks for taking picture of my Beautiful country and yes, in two weeks you've seen a lot!! I'm Italian and I moved in Dayton-OH almost 3 years ago and I miss my country everyday. I'm lucky though to go back and visit at least once a year. I'm getting married in Venice with my American partner, and now you can understand why!!

Ciao!

BRUfly

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 am

The major part of Italy (Rome for sure) IS mainland Europe ... :)

zachary165
Topic Author

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:01 pm

bgboiflyer wrote:
Finally someone who took a photo of AA's 77E new Y cabin. Although 2-5-2 was cool and at least 9 abreast the seats and cabin were old and the PTVs. I hope to visit Italy one day and see the famous sights for themselves

I found these new PTVs to be light yeas ahead of their counterparts. They actually responded to a touch. I hope you get to see Italy too. It is something that nobody should miss.

FlyingSicilian wrote:
The olde SSSS selectee security treatment...nice ;-) Nice pics

First time it actually happened to me. Thanks for the comment

flyforever wrote:
I'm getting married in Venice with my American partner, and now you can understand why!

Thanks for the reply, and congratulations on your engagement!

BRUfly wrote:
The major part of Italy (Rome for sure) IS mainland Europe ... :)

I guess I should've been more specific. As we took off, we flew over the Mediterranean for a bit before turning back north through France.
"Keep true to the dreams of thy youth." - Schiller

11725Flyer

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Wow! I loved a little bit of history mixed in with a great trip report. Thanks for sharing this with us!

CollegeAviator

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:24 pm

A pulper picture at the start of this report instantly won me over, LOL!
Nice trip report.
Good to see AA rolling out the new Y product on may of their B772s at a pretty fast rate. Nice to also a mid-flight snack and a decent pre-arrival snack. I guess this was granted since it was a 12hr flight.
Ahhhh SSSS. What can be done - a necessary evil!
Thanks for sharing this one!