jeffh747
Topic Author

Home for Christmas with Southwest (12/16/2017)

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:28 pm

Hello and welcome to my trip report: Home for Christmas with Southwest

Please note; this is only a summary of my full trip report, which can be found on my brand new website: https://jeffh737.wixsite.com/tripreport ... t-12162017
I highly recommend checking it out there as it includes more pictures, and an embedded video trip report.

Introduction
In November, I realized that I'd flown about 29 flights so far in 2017, on 29 different routes! My flights may have had the same city pairs, but I had not yet flown the same route in the same direction. When looking at flights home for Christmas, I found an attractive routing to get home with Southwest. It would be my first Southwest flight in over six years, and I would be flying FLL-BNA-PHL, giving me my first visit to the BNA Airport. I booked, and I was eager to fly Southwest!

Flight 2635: FLL-BNA
I'd purchased Early Bird Check-In to help me get a seat near the front on the leg to BNA, since I had a short connection. I brought an empty suitcase to check, simply because I could and because I wanted the baggage tag. Our inbound aircraft was significantly late from SJU, and I didn't get onboard until 8:55am, ten minutes prior to STD. Having boarding position A32, I was able to get seat 11F, the first window seat closest to the front of the cabin. It was very weird not having an assigned seat! I had a nice view of the engine and anxiously waited our departure, since my connection was scheduled at only 40 minutes. Fortunately, we left the gate only four minutes tardy and took off from Runway 10L shortly after.

Image20171216_085602 by Jeff Hernandez, on Flickr
Wingview from 11F

Once airborne, I relaxed and enjoyed the ride for the most part. The IFE on Southwest is brought to you via streaming entertainment. I'm not a big fan of streaming-I love having seatback TVs. But after flying American a few times and their decently sized selection of entertainment options, I tried the Southwest IFE with an open mind. There's only like 10 channels of live TV, and only two games. All other entertainment other than the moving map and city guides (such as movies) cost extra. I was disappointed with the offerings and I was thankful I flew Virgin America to LAS back in October (via LAX), instead of the Southwest nonstop. However, I enjoyed watching out the window and seeing the different landscapes. I enjoyed my seat- it was very padded and had a decent amount of legroom.

ImageDSC_0100 by Jeff Hernandez, on Flickr
Approaching BNA

We landed in Nashville only four minutes behind schedule and I could see the Nashville skyline a few miles away during final approach. As soon as we arrived, I hurriedly got up and rushed out the door. Fortunately, my connecting plane to PHL was right next door and I could see it just beyond our winglet. I speed-walked through Nashville Airport, and got to my connecting gate just in time to board.
Image20171216_103430 by Jeff Hernandez, on Flickr
BNA Airport

Flight 3965: BNA-PHL
I hopped right in line to board, and it was weird feeling like I cut in front of a bunch of people. Having A40 for this flight, I still had my pick of whichever seat I wanted. I opted to sit in the back for this flight, and had fun deciding which seat I should pick. I was looking forward to getting my first ride on the 737-800 because of the Boeing Sky Interior, but alas, the moodlights were set to a grayish color until after takeoff.

Image20171216_103912 by Jeff Hernandez, on Flickr
Boarding my 737-800

Image20171216_123144 by Jeff Hernandez, on Flickr
Moodlights

ImageDSC_0144 by Jeff Hernandez, on Flickr
Over New Jersey

ImageDSC_0161 by Jeff Hernandez, on Flickr
At PHL

We departed BNA 4 minutes late again, and we taxied very fast to Runway 20C, where we took off moments later from. This flight was much more scenic. We flew over the Appalachians and over Washington DC. I could see DCA Airport, the Washington Monument, and other landmarks from my 737-800. This flight was much the same as the first one- limited entertainment, but still a comfortable seat. I had about 5 packets of peanuts because I was starving at this point. When we crossed from Delaware into Jersey, I noticed quite a contrast between the two lands. There was no snow in Delaware, but all of Jersey was blanketed in the white! It was gorgeous, and I enjoyed this part most of my travels today because of how pretty the ground looked from above. We landed on Runway 27L about fourteen minutes early, and arrived at Gate E9 shortly after.

Conclusion
Overall, my travels today were neither impressive or disappointing. I thought Southwest was very decent, I would say I liked them. My only gripe was the lack of options when it comes to IFE. But Southwest does have very comfortable seats and legroom. For me, they fall into the same bucket as United, Frontier, and Spirit. I would not pay extra to fly them, but if they were significantly cheaper than my preferred carriers of VX/AA/DL/B6, then I would consider choosing them again.

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed this mini version, check out the full length report by clicking on the link above!
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

11725Flyer

Re: Home for Christmas with Southwest (12/16/2017)

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks for posting the great pictures. A great trip report!

mke717spotter

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:48 pm

Very nice trip report and pictures on your website. I used to purchase the Early Bird Check-In as well in order to assure that I get a window seat, but now I just do the online check-in 24 hours beforehand. Plus I prefer sitting behind the wing and those seats don't get taken right away anyways. Despite flying WN somewhat frequently I have yet to try the streaming entertainment options. Is the TV playback quality good or is it kind of laggy?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

jeffh747
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:49 pm

11725Flyer wrote:
Thanks for posting the great pictures. A great trip report!

Thank you for reading it!

mke717spotter wrote:
Very nice trip report and pictures on your website. I used to purchase the Early Bird Check-In as well in order to assure that I get a window seat, but now I just do the online check-in 24 hours beforehand. Plus I prefer sitting behind the wing and those seats don't get taken right away anyways. Despite flying WN somewhat frequently I have yet to try the streaming entertainment options. Is the TV playback quality good or is it kind of laggy?

Thank you for reading my trip report, and checking out my website, I appreciate the positive feedback! The TV playback was surprisingly good. The quality on both of my flights was high- not blurry at all- and I didn't experience any lag. I'm sure a lot of it has to be because we were over land for a majority of the flights, I think out over the ocean the video would be laggy, but it worked well on both of my flights. My only major gripe is how few channels there are to choose from. They have a lot of movies on demand but you have to pay for them.
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

Super80Fan

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 pm

Great trip report. I was also very disappointed in the lack of content on their entertainment selections. American and Delta in comparison have a lot more content to choose from.
RIP McDonnell Douglas